speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Magician by Michael Scott

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Magician by Michael Scott

Postby Bmat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:23 pm

The Magician is the second novel in the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. The book was published by Delacorte Books for Young Readers. According to the book cover, Michael Scott is an authority in mythology and folklore, and he is a New York Times "Bestselling Author."

Twins, Josh and Sophie Newman, are on a quest to master their magic and save the world from the evil of Dr. John Dee and the Dark Elders. As the book begins, the twins, Nicholas Flamel, and a vampire warrior have escaped to Paris. Josh has the last two pages of the Book of Abraham, a book of utmost importance. With these two pages, Dee and the Dark Elders would rule the world.

There are fast-paced magical battles and betrayals. There are surprises and despair.

The reviews that I have read of the book are mostly positive. However, a hundred pages into the book, I realized that I just did not care what happened to anyone in the story. I had not read the first volume, so it is possible this lack made the book less interesting. I'd recommend reading the first book before this one. The characters were not intriguing nor endearing. The fast pace and the clever and surprising magic made the book fun, but it was not something that I shall be reading again.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: The Magician by Michael Scott

Postby Nomad » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Bmat, You should have read the Alchemyst first. I got into the 2 books and look forward to the third in the series. I have to admit that whn I first got the book , I thought it was an extension of Harry Potter. Not soooo. It is a series in its own right. I liked it.
-Nommy
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Books and Authors