speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Dragon Lance Series

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Dragon Lance Series

Postby LadyFlame » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:20 am

Hi All....I just became a new fan of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman while reading their Rose of the Prophet series....I know that they are attached to the Dragon Lance Series, and though I have been aware of the series, I am completely ignorant of it...
To be honest, and no offense please, I always thought it was some role playing/choose your own adventure/MagicCardGame- kind of thing! :smt102
But, alas I am curious...is anyone familiar with the series, and can you shine some light, share your opinions on it, and then make some referrals of the right place to start-It seems theres a TON of the books...
Thanks!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Dragon Lance Series

Postby Qray » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 am

LadyFlame wrote:To be honest, and no offense please, I always thought it was some role playing/choose your own adventure/MagicCardGame- kind of thing! :smt102

There is a Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game based on the Dragonlance story. So your confusion is understandable.

Right now I think there's close to 200 novels from various authors that pertain to Dragonlance. I would suggest starting with the first three books that were written and make up the Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy. In order, they are : Dragons of Autumn Twilight (1984), Dragons of Winter Night (1985), and Dragons of Spring Dawning (1985.)

You can usually get all three books in a set for under $20.00.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dragon ... 0786926817

This trilogy is the first set of books written about the Dragonlance world, and will give you the foundation for everything else. Chronicles introduces you to the major players, important characters, events, and organizations that other books assume you already know about.

If you like other works by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, you will like this series.

Highlight for plot elements that may contain minor spoilers.
The Dragonlance story is set over 300 years after the Cataclysm, an event in which the gods grow angry at the Kingpriest's arrogance and drop a fiery mountain onto the nation of Istar, rearranging the face of the planet Krynn. Mankind believes this is proof the gods had abandoned them, bringing us to the present War of the Lance where the ancient gods are little more than legends. As a new war is developing, a group of friends encounter a barbarian couple carrying a Blue Crystal staff. These travelers, later called the Heroes of the Lance, or the Companions (before these names, they had been known among the authors as the Innfellows, as the game started at The Inn of the Last Home), begin a journey in which they learn of the staff's secret, the real meaning of the departure of the gods, the return of the dragons, and the fabled weapons known as dragonlances.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Re:

Postby The_Khan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Rose of the Prophet series, I read that a long time ago and enjoyed it very much :)

Like Qray says Chronicles is the first series they wrote that you want to read and then after that you definitely want to read the LEGENDS series for sure. They are terrific!

If you ever get a chance to read the Death Gate Cycle series afterwards, I think you might enjoy those as well!
The_Khan
VIP
VIP

Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby LadyFlame » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 am

If you ever get a chance to read the Death Gate Cycle series afterwards, I think you might enjoy those as well!

YES, I am reading, finishing up the first Death Gate Cycle book...I am a member of 'Paper Back Swap' and had some credits to use up...I used all of them on the 3 Chronicle DragonLance books, and the rest of the Death Gate Cycle books....I'm set for reading for awhile I suppose... :study:
I think MW and TH are my new favorite authors!
Looking forward to tearing into all of the above....Thanks guys!

Have you ever heard of Paperback Swap? It's been great...it's like a book trade-you list the books you want to swap, someone orders it from you, you send it to them(pay shipping), and someone will do the same for you. It's pretty useful.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re:

Postby The_Khan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 pm

LadyFlame my friend, I'm happy to hear that you're reading all of these books. But remember there's so much other good stuff out there. Dragonlance: The Legend of Huma. Please don't forget the Dark Elf Trilogy, which is a Forgotten Realm series, excellent! You'll love the Dark Elf Drizzt Do'Urden, he is like no other elf you'll ever meet ;)

Also you might want to try others like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. I'm sure you read Lord of the Rings already? You could also give The Silmarillion a try, I did and I really enjoyed it, but then again in High School, I was a fiend and devoured books, lol :)

Who else? Oh yes David Eddings The Belgariad series. Terry Brook's Shannara series, Raymond E. Feist's Magician series, Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. If you need more, you just let me know :)

Thanks for telling me about Paperback Swap, I never heard of it, but you're right it might be pretty useful :)
The_Khan
VIP
VIP

Art: View My Art Gallery

Return to Books and Authors