REDWALL

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

REDWALL

Post by FantasyMan »

hey i was looking through the forums and found nothing on redwall if i m wrong correct me but anyway

here one is! :D

o yeah, srry for starting another topic (this is for all the moderaters)

if i m staring to many topics, tell me and i will stop thanks

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

common these r good books someone reply

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I've seen them around but never actually picked one up. Maybe I should. I saw a few cartoons of it. Are they the same?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Aslan
New User
New User

Post by Aslan »

I read Redwall and did not pursue the rest of the series. Redwall may appeal to younger readers, but didn't do anything for me. The fantasy elements seemed trite. I was bored through most of the book and kept saying to myself, "I've seen this before." Didn't really care for any of the characters. Though I liked the storyteller style of narration, the style was simplistic and dull.

I don't think I could recommend Redwall except perhaps for young readers (up to 13 or 14 years old?). If you want a great book about anthropomorphic animals, Watership Down is far superior (though perhaps better for older readers).

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yes, the books did seem kind of childish to me. So did the show, but sometimes they can have deeper meanings to them
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

I'm familiar with the title.what is the story about?It doesn't matter to me what age group it appeals to most.Harry Potter would be considered a childrens book,but many adults enjoyed these books and movies.

Never got to read watership Down.What was that one about?

Aslan
New User
New User

Post by Aslan »

I hear ya, Ariel. I would never say Harry Potter was "just for kids". I'd recommend those books to everybody. Same goes for a lot of great young adult fantasy: The Dark is Rising, The Giver, The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. They appeal to an older audience because they're just that good.

Redwall does not fit that category. Younger readers may enjoy it because it won't necessarily seem stale to them.

Watership Down is a fantasy about a bunch of rabbits in England who decide they need to move to a new home. Great characters. Fantastic plot. Well written. And it really gives you a good idea of what it's like to be a rabbit!

In contrast, Redwall has a tired plot, boring characters, is poorly written, and the fact that they're mice is purely for atmosphere, but adds little to the story or characters.

My opinion. I know Redwall is beloved by many. So take what I say about it with a grain of salt. Truly, it wasn't awful. It just wasn't good. Middle of the road. Disappointing, to me.

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

ture they r a little childish but they r good i guess i m talking about them b/c i AM around 13-14 but yeah you might like and yes watership down is far superior and yes i have read them too they also are good
even if you r a bit older you might consider them as long as you aren't like 25 and over (no offence ment)

and yes redwall IS sorta slow but it is b/c it was the first the newer one (triss, lomehedge, ect.) have much better plost and more devolped stories

they are a bit confusing because the usually switch between good and evil in the same book and the two sides usually end up meeting some how

if you want to read one and have never read one before i would suggest you start with The Bellmaker, Outcast Of Redwall, or Taggerung as i believe them to be the best of the books.
Last edited by FantasyMan on Fri May 13, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

p.s.

anyone notice how addictive these forums are i hate having to get off them

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

hey can anyone here tell me about 7th tower books?
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Yes,these forums are addicting fantasyman!!That's how I got all these stars!!

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

lol do you have to post a certain amount to gain stars or do you have to be on the forums for a certain amount of time?
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place