speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Wheel of Time 11: Knife of Dreams

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Wheel of Time 11: Knife of Dreams

Postby ScottSF » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:35 pm

Just read on the Wot Website that the next (October 11 release) book will be the second to the last. I hadn't realised how long it has been since the first book.

Also some company was talking about movie rights. I don't really see how that would work unless the cut a lot of stuff out. I was thinking it would do better as a TV show but then who knows if the tv public would support it. Then again Hercules and Xena had a good run so maybe there would be a place for it.

Jordan and Martin's books will both be comming out around October. I have my winter break reading cut out for me. Just thought I pass the news on.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:14 pm

I love the Wheel of Time... problem is so do a lot of people around here and the library can't keep up. Anyway, I'm trying to get fully into it but it's taking a lot longer than I expected to get to a book store
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby GOLLUM » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:03 am

I used to like WOT but sadly the last few books have dragged on a bit too much for my liking. I felt the first few books were very good, so hopefully it ends with 12 books but I ain't holding my breath.
Even the smallest person can make a diference.
GOLLUM
New User
New User

Postby omnituton » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Sadly I think I have to agree with Gollum...WOT has dragged its heels a bit. I find it annoying to have to re-read and re-acquaint myself with the same characters in each successive novel. Jordan seems to write each book as if its reader was not going to bother to read the series. Hence there is an awful lot of repetitive padding that slows the flow of events.

Don't get me wrong, I like the series in general ( who'd have read all 11 books otherwise) - but at this stage I am a little disheartened with the lack of imagination in characterisation - I feel ive gone through so many thousands of pages of Nanyeve sniffing and tugging her braid, Elayne straightening her skirts and Mat being incomprehenisbly ignorant of the motivations of womankind...blood and bloody ashes!
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby ScottSF » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:49 pm

haha! with the sniffing and the braid pulling :D. That was my main critique too, the "padding" I thought it might have been more obvious since I read books 3 through 8 back to back. I still like the books. Number 4 was my favorite. That stuff with the desert and Matt getting hung was so full of mystery. yeah. Fortunately I don't have trouble remember what I read so I don't have to re-read anything to get back into it. Haven't read Knife of dreams yet, gotta finnish Feast for the Crows first by Martin First. I was surprised the I liked Spring Snow, maybe one reason was that it didn't need so much padding because it was a prequel.
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Adelaide » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:09 pm

I can understand the complaints about the padding and all, but I'm one of those crazy addicted fans(read the series 3 times in 3 years). Personally I never want it to end, but I guess it's good that the end is finally in sight(especially with the return of my favorite character). As most fans, I believe the tenth book was slow and definatly the worst book in the series, though I still believe it was a good book, but the eleventh book completely made up. I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved it and I can't wait until the twelfth one comes out, though it'll probably be another couple of years.
Adelaide
New User
New User

Postby ScottSF » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:48 am

yay, a fan. I was starting to feel lonely :p I don't like waiting for the books so much. I read 3 through 8 all in a row. I still haven't got to knife of dreams 'cause while I was waiting for it to come out I had to find other stuff to like, some of it I like more i.e. The George R.R. Martin books. But still Jordan is the one that got me goin. I used to read much less frequently before his stuff got my momentum up. who was the favorite character that return... wait don't tell me! There is somone who I suspect will come back because that character's demize left unanswered questions... hmmm
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Adelaide » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:01 pm

It was pretty much the same for me, I read before, but not as much, until my friend lent me EotW, and that just set me off. The waiting period is always agonizing, but it just makes the book that much better when I finally get to read. The character is the most obvious one, probably who you're thinking of, though personally I thought(hoped) that they would be back in the eleventh, but at least there was something that guaranteed their return.
Adelaide
New User
New User

Robert Jordan: R.I.P.

Postby Astaire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:29 am

Lost a battle with illness diagnosed over a year ago, ah well.

Perhaps the 12th book may yet be finished.

http://dragonmount.com
Astaire
Just Registered
Just Registered

Location: Way the hell around the other side of the Earth from where you are

Postby brent.bennett » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:07 am

I also posted this in the RIP Robert Jordan thread as well. I figured it would serve its purpose in this thread as well. I'm quite interested in more feedback on this unfortunate matter.

brent.bennett wrote:I dont have any enlightening information about Robert Jordans death, but I'm truly bummed out about it. The man has my upmost respect. He has definetly left his mark in this world and his mark may be around for ages and ages because:

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

Well, in his case, hopefully his mark will be left through every age. I am dearly interested in what is going to become of his conclusive book. Its quite sad that he didnt get to finish it. His death actually hits a hard spot. His Wheel of Time series is the series that introduced me to fantasy. I cannot thank this man enough for that. During the journey his series gave me when I was in middle school I thought to myself, wouldnt it suck if he died before he finished this series? Geez, what a jinks. I understand he left notes for his conclusive series. Hopefully someone picks up on that and finishes it.
brent.bennett
New User
New User

Return to Books and Authors