Robbin Hobb, Ships and Fools

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

I read the Assassin trilogy starting with Assassin's Apprentice and was very happy with the strong characters and world. I actually wasn't crazy about the answer to one of the mysteries at the end of the trilogy but the story telling was so good and good character development that I don't begrudge the books. Thinking back on it, it was actually quite clever, perhaps I just had misplaced expectations.

My question is: Has anyone read all 9 of Hobb's books. Assassin's, Liveships and Fool's trilogies? I started reading fools Errand and was very happy to see all the characters from the Assassin books back but then there was a quick mention of something that happened to the fool on a ship and I wondered if it was wrong for me to skip the liveships trilogy. If anyone has read all these, is the Liveships book vital to the Fools plot? Or does it matter which order I read them in? I'm more than halfway through Fool's Errand and I bought Ship of magic and I keep jumping back and forth and I think maybe I should choose one.

If anyone has read the books please any insight would help. Thanks
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

what age group are these books 4?
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

I would say probably 12 and up. There is some sexuality but rather light compared to George R.R. Marting or Guy G. Kay. I think like an 11 or 12 year old might enjoy them but might get bored because it is more driven by character than action. There is plenty of action but lots of build up and reflection etc.
-Groucho Marx

Obtuse
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Obtuse »

I've only read the first two trilogies, but I have read and taken part in several discussions of this topic on other boards. The general consensus I get is this.

You can read Tawny Man and enjoy it without reading Liveship Traders first, but you are going to miss out on some things. Most seem to agree that Tawny Man is much better if you have read Liveship Traders. Also, if you choose to finish Tawny Man first and then go back and read Liveship Traders, your enjoyment of Liveship Traders will be diminished.

So I would suggest going ahead and reading Liveship Traders first. It is a bit different than Farseer and, I understand, Tawny Man, but it is a very good series in its own right.

BTW, greetings to all. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for some time. I don't post a whole lot, but I do enjoy the discussion here and will be around from time to time.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Welcome to Speculative Vision, Obtuse!

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Welcome Obtuse!

Thanks for the info. As hard as it is I have decided to put down Fool's Errand until I finnish Liveship Traders. Chapter 7 in Ship of Majic really has me hooked now the momentum is there. And thanks for using the correct name for the trillogies, I didn't have the books handy when I did the post.

I really enjoy the characters from Farseers so it was hard to pull away but the Liveship trader folks are growing on me fast.
-Groucho Marx

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

Greetings fellow book escapists. :D
I am new on the forum, and I'm delighted that I just noticed your thread about the Liveship Trilogy. I see that your questions have been answered fair enough...
I am currently tearing thru' the Mad Ship(2nd book) and am totally hooked. I think Robin Hobb is becoming one of my favorite writers. She has a nice flow in her style and it is detailed enough with out being too verbose.
Which trilogy should I read after that-Tawny Man or Farseer?
Looking forward to chatting with you all.
LadyFlame

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

:cat: :flower: WELCOME OBTUSE AND LADY FLAME! Hope to see you both around! :sunny:

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Welcome to Speculative Vision, LadyFlame!

I am sorry, but I am not familiar with any of the books you mentioned.

Benjaru
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Benjaru »

Welcome LadyFlame!

I would suggest you read Farseer next, as it comes before Tawny Man. If you read the Tawny Man first it won't end up making any sense to you, because Hobb does not spend a whole lot of time re-introducing the characters from the first trilogy (Farseer).
You Dew, or you Dew not. There is no Coke.

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

I'm on Ship of destiny now. I enjoyed farseers a lot but I must admit I like liveships even better. Thanks everyone for sugguesting I read it before going on to Tawnyman. I have been enjoying all the connections between the Traders world and Fitz's country. Some are subbtle and some not so subtle. I also have my suspicions about 'Amber' if she is not who I think she is then she is related somehow. I think reading Liveship Traders, then Farseer, then Tawnyman would work fine. I can't wait to see how the Bingtown stuff crosses over to Six Duchies. But school has started and I have to read Chaucer and write papers and stuff so won't have as much time. Oh if anybody lives in San Francisco Robin Hobb will be here are Borderland Books on Saturday September 11. Not sure if I will go, I'm shy! :P if I had to have her sign one of my books it would be Ship of Majic I think. Oh she's there promoting a new book called Shaman's Crossing. Part of a Soldier Son Trilogy. Probably unrelated to the Elderling Realm, I think.
-Groucho Marx

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

What trigoly should i start with as indcated above it souind like there are many i think i might try assins trigoly as soon as i finish the "abbhorsen" trigoly and the read eldest.
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place