Robbin Hobb, Ships and Fools

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

I have read all of Farseer and Liveships and the First Tawny Man book. As for Amber, well that's the main mystery that is driving me to keep reading the final series. I really don't want to say too much on that front. If you read the Farseer books, you won't get directly at the Amber mystery but if you may have some suspicions and connections by the end. Yes, the Farseer books Mention the Elderlings, in fact they are vital. You will also get to find out about the strange shaped dragons that people saw in the south that many of the liveship traders spoke about. As for the charm? Well that's a good mystery. One thing that finally sunk in about Kennit was, one of the reasons he seemed unable to 'feel' for people was that Paragon took away all his pain when he was a kid and probably took some of his ability to make emotional connections. The charm has some of the Dragon consciousness in it and despite their aloofness the dragons have shown the ability for compassion. My best guess is the charm is aware of that missing part of Kennit. But Ms. Hobb seems to leave some of those mysteries out there. The thing I'm really curious about is the white serpent, there was definitely something going on there and I'm afraid that it won't be answered in the books to come. I'm actually frustrated because I'm working full time and taking some classes at night and don't have time to keep reading at the moment. So, you will get lots more elderlings, in fact, if you go into the Farseer books you will know more than the characters. I think you will enjoy the other books in the elderling realms. The Liveships books were refreshing because they followed many characters. Farseer and Tawny Man are told from one character's perspective but he is surrounded by other interesting folk. Also the other books have Skill and Wit magic which you don't find in liveships. Skill is a sort of psychic connection thing, and Wit is a connection to the natural world, animal empathy etc. I hope that's enough to get you to try out Assassin's Apprentice and see what you think. I would repeat the other's suggestions to go with Farseers first.

I look forward to comparing notes with people after I have finnished Tawny Man
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

:scratch: I never thought about Kennit's problem with not being connected would be from Paragon 'taking his pain away'.... That is so deep.... and with the charm feeling compassion for Etta and whispering the sweet things Kennit would've said is also pretty deep. It makes sense in that perspective. I was stewing on it this morning and I guess that is what I love about Speculative Vision is cuz' I can't get other peoples perspective on the stories I love.
Knowing that Kennit had this kind of issue makes me a little less 'disgusted' with him. Almost like an addict who can't see how they hurt the ones they love and are out of touch with reality....looking back, that the charm would reach out to help Etta is so kind of it. It is hard to believe that with these dragons and their lack of affections for humans and that he would want to reach out to her, but I guess with the 'wizardwood' it becomes part of the memories stuffed into it and I'm glad for her sake it became the best parts of Kennit instead of allowing itself to become the monster parts.... :smt106
I just started reading Harry Potter, which is such a different read. Fun, easy and fast to read. I like to have a bit of a break in between worlds. So I'll read the HP book, then get the Assassin's.
I recently have been disciplining myself and leaving my book at work and only reading at lunch, cuz' I should be doing so many other things and I'm reading my life away! :smt103 So, Scott SF, I know what you mean when you get frustrated by not being able to read as much!
Please let me know how Tawny Man is going....
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

I'm so happy to find a place to discuss Hobb's books. As with most folks here, I've read them out of order, starting with Fool's Errand. Gobbled up that trilogy and then decided to go back to the beginning. Assassin's Apprentice was enjoyable. Royal Assassin was wonderful, the fastest read among the five, going on six, of her books I've read thus far. However, I'm dragging through Assassin's Quest. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm glad to see from others' postings about the second trilogy that it's quite different from the first and last trilogies.

So how are you all coming along in your reading? Once a few people have gotten through all the books, I'd like to have a discussion about how Hobb ends things.

I was very happy to find these books. I started reading fantasy again in summer 2004, getting reacquainted with the genre after about 20 years of only occasional reading. I'd become unfamiliar with fantasy authors and was longing for an extended storyline to get immersed in. Went back to Sword of Shannara (sp?) but it just wasn't the same as when I'd read it at 14. I tried Terry Goodkind but didn't click with his characters either. But Hobb's Fitz and the Fool reveal a friendship in the last three books that I think equals that of Frodo and Sam.

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Tremayne. I'm reading Golden Fool but only at work when I have breaks 'cause I got studying to do. This was Lady Flames idea. Thanks Lady. Oh but wouldn't you know the book snuck in my backpack and found its way home this weekend. Actually in hindsight Assasins quest was kinda clunky, or, just odd in the end. But I cared enough about the charaters, really felt for Kitriken, Kitterekin, Kitakititkaitlfieren (i'm not gonna go look up the spelling). Also, maybe for you the Elderlings mysteries have all been revealed. I don't know cause I haven't finnished the Tawny man books. But I have really injoyed all the cross points between the Fitz books and the Liveships. Sometimes they are funny. If you know what really happened but then hear about it second hand in one of the other books. Like there was just a blurb in golden fool about some events in the Liveship books, it was one of those bits of scroll before the chapter really starts, and it made a big belly laugh because the person's facts were all screwy. but I wouldn't have known they were screwy had I not read the liveship books. So you must be in the land of prequels. Don't tell me what happens but the full truth about the fool keeps me reading, especially in light of his relation to the liveship stories. I think Sam and Frodo have a less equal relationship than Fitz and Fool. Sam is clearly a servant as well as friend. Yep, time to try to sleep.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

Tremayne, I finished Ship of Destiny and that Trilogy is by far one of my favorites. This was my first attempt at Hobb's books, so I am curious to see how they connect...
I have yet to tear into the Assassin's books yet. I wanted to take a break and I actually dove into Harry Potter, which I am taking a break from(read 1&2), so now I am reading Mists of Avalon.
I hear Assassins is great. I will all on the forum once I do get into it.
I too was So excited that I found a thread on Hobb, it was actually one of the biggest reasons I joined SV becuz' I saw that people were reading cool books and seemed pretty nice. :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

ScottSF wrote: Don't tell me what happens but the full truth about the fool keeps me reading, especially in light of his relation to the liveship stories. I think Sam and Frodo have a less equal relationship than Fitz and Fool. Sam is clearly a servant as well as friend. Yep, time to try to sleep.

Wondering about the Fool is what kept me reading as well. He has got to be one of my favorite fantasy characters ever. I've thought of rereading Tawny Man after getting through the first six. I think it would read differently, I'd catch nuances that you are which went right by me the first time.

I agree that Fitz and the Fool are near equals. Though now I don't know the more I think about it. Fitz acts much more independently, yet is he really any less of a servant? Anyway, when I said they were equal to Sam and Frodo, I meant the intensity of their relationship, the devotion. Maybe once all are done we can talk about the parallels because now that I'm thinking about it there are more than I first realized.

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

LadyFlame wrote:I wanted to take a break and I actually dove into Harry Potter, which I am taking a break from(read 1&2), so now I am reading Mists of Avalon.

I too was So excited that I found a thread on Hobb, it was actually one of the biggest reasons I joined SV becuz' I saw that people were reading cool books and seemed pretty nice. :wink:

I will probably take a Hobb break too once I'm done with Assassin's Quest. Actually, it's kind of funny. Because AQ was getting boggy, I began reading the fifth Harry Potter--the exact opposite sort of book--breakneck pace and lots of dialog. They complemented each other nicely. I'd just read AQ before dropping off to sleep at night (which is not to say it put me to sleep-just results taking it in smaller doses) whereas HP was hard to put down.

Mists of Avalon is one of my favorites as well. I wish it was fresh in my mind. It would be another great one to discuss with people, her twists on the Arthur mythos.

And ditto on this thread being one of the main reasons I took the plunge and joined this site. :)

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

Okay, Moderators, the *beep* above covers a word synonymous with hope that begins with a W and was followed by the word it. Can you explain how that is offensive? LOL

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

haha, sorry Tremayne, looks lik you got caught in the *beep* trap. I had the same problem when I mention the author of Blade Runner and Minority report Phillip K Dick. I wonder if you used extra spaces. I'll try, you can write what you wish if you wish it. wish it
-Groucho Marx

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

wow, I put like 3 spaces between the word "wish" and the word "it" then I tried it again with 5 spaces. It just doesn't like seeing those letter in that order but if you wish * it maybe you can try and asterisk thingy
-Groucho Marx

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Anyway, back to Hobb. I realized that two things really keep me reading. First the characters and then the mysteries. Unfortunately if you read Tawny man first many of the mysteries are revealed. Halfway through Golden fool, Liveship Traders finally spills in directly. I was very happy, but given two truths I'm wondering which is true. I can't wait till Lady Flame catches up so we can talk about it.

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

As per the beep. Saw your Philip K problem and found it amusing. But think of everything that's eliminated if we can't get sh anywhere near it (I had tried a variety of tactics to get it to unbeep). We can never crush the it or push the it or flush the it. (Couldn't resist.)