Robbin Hobb, Ships and Fools

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

yes, just to clear up, all of the Farseer Trilogy books have Assasin in the tite starting with Assasins apprentis. Out of the three trilogies, it is chronologically the first.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx

Benjaru
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Benjaru »

FM You should start with The Farseer Trilogy: Assassins Apprentice, Royal Assassin and Assassins Quest.

Then read The Liveship Traders: Ship of Magic, Mad Ship and Ship of Destiny.

Lastly read The Tawny Man: Fool's Errand, Golden Fool and Fool's Fate.

All fantastic stories! I am going get Shaman's Crossing soon, I hope it measures up to Hobb's other works.
You Dew, or you Dew not. There is no Coke.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Robin Hobb, Ships and Fools

Post by LadyFlame »

What is the Shaman's Crossing? Is that her newest book???
Has anyone read any of Robin Hobbs books under the name Megan Lindholm? How are they?
Also, For those who have read the Liveship trilogy-about this 'Amber' character-does she not have some amazingly wise insight? Whoever she speaks to gets a big dose of deep but practical wisdom. You could start a whole new thread on the 'Wisdom of Amber'.... I haven't discovered where she comes from-but my wheels are churning to figure her out..... :?
You guys, this series rocks the boat. Not just the boat, but sets a few waves into motion as well! Highly recommended.

Benjaru
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Benjaru »

It will be a pleasant surprise when you do figure it out, LadyFlame. Due mostly to the order you are reading them in.
Wonderful author, isn't she?
I very much enjoy her stories. Her tales under the pseudonym Megan Lindholm tend to be a bit more Indian/tribal, less fantasy. I have not read any of them.
You Dew, or you Dew not. There is no Coke.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

I think I am figuring out what she is, well, at least I have a hunch....I am at the end of Mad Ship-will be finishing it today. And I think I get the feeling she is an ancestor of the Elderlings....Goldern skin and eyes... DON't tell me! I will read the Farseers Trilogy afterwards. I so wonder if I will get to be in the city that they are escavating in the Rain Wilds right now....do you BenJaru, or perhaps anyone else know a if you get to learn about those people in any of the other books? I am SO curious of that old city and the people, and the dragons that used to live there....knowing this would urge me more to read the other trilogies with vigorous curiosty. :study:
Has anyone read Robin Hobbs newest book Shaman Crossing? Can you give a blurb about it?

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

LadyFlame, this is from Robin's website, which was a of a mystery to navigate but she seems to be havng fun doing it herself.

Shaman’s Crossing

Nevare Burvelle is the second son of a second son, destined from birth to carry a sword. The wealthy young noble will follow his father – newly made a lord by the King of Gernia – into the cavalry, training in the military arts at the elite King’s Cavella Academy in the capital city of Old Thares. Bright and well-educated, an excellent horseman with an advantageous engagement, Nevare’s future appears golden.
But as his Academy instruction progresses, Nevare begins to realize that the road before him is far from straight. The old aristocracy looks down on him as the son of a “new noble” and, unprepared for the political and social maneuvering of the deeply competitive school and city, the young man finds himself entangled in a web of injustice, discrimination, and foul play. In addition, he is disquieted by his unconventional girl-cousin Epiny – who challenges his heretofore unwavering world view – and by the bizarre dreams that haunt his nights.
For twenty years the King’s cavalry has pushed across the grasslands, subduing and settling its nomads and claiming the territory in Gernia’s name. Now they have driven as far as the Barrier Mountains, home to the Speck people, a quiet, forest-dwelling folk who retain the last vestiges of magic in a world that is rapidly becoming modernized. From childhood Nevare has been taught that the Specks are a primitive people to be pitied for their backward ways -- and feared for their indigenous diseases, including the deadly Speck plague, which has ravaged the frontier towns and military outposts.
Then Dark Evening brings the carnival to Old Thares, and with it an unknown magic, and the first Specks Nevare has ever seen . . .

This trilogy is not connected to the three preceding trilogies that took place in the Realm of the Elderlings.
-Groucho Marx

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Just finished Ship of Destiny today. I enjoyed the whole trilogy and pretty much read it like one big book. I have never burned through a trilogy so fast. I did feel a bit denied of revenge so to speak, in a few cases, but I suppose that is how life is. I thought I might get more definite answers where a certain amber eyed character is concerned but I actually found those answers weren't vital to the story; some things can stay a mystery. Now I can get back to Fool's Errand. Since I was almost half way through I Had to go back and skim certain chapters and was well rewarded. But that leaves even more big questions to pull me through. I must speak vague for the sake of Ms. Flame ;) also everyone has been nice enough to speak vaguely about the Tawny Man I have yet to read. I did have one moment where I was skimming fools Errand and thought I was in the wrong book because of a familliar name, but found it was a horse's name. :p
-Groucho Marx

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

Arrgghh! I finished Mad Ship last week, and my Pops went and got the Ship of Destiny and is tearing into it. I have to wait till he finishes first be4 I can devour it myself.... :smt012
I agree that even though the books are like over 800 pgs long, you still feel like you skim right thru' it and it 'feels' like just one book.
Thanx a kazillion that you didn't give away any spoilers for me ScottSF! I am curious to hear your take on the Shaman's Crossing if you get to it.

silversquirrel
New User
New User

Post by silversquirrel »

I've read all three trilogies pretty much in order. I wouldn't recommend reading them out of sequence because they do tend to refer back to the other books a lot. Really it goes downhill a little as you progress through the books, but even the Tawny Man trilogy is still much better than most of the fantasy novels I've come across. I wasn't too disappointed by the ending.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Hobb's is alright. I find her work fairly easy to read and it doesn't go too overboard with description. Kinda reminds me of my own style or at least where I would like to go with my writing.

I'm about half way through Shaman's Crossing atm and it's pretty dry reading. Interesting take on aristocratic life but not much action. =/ I just hope it gets better.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

How's it turning out Dragonfleet? Hobb is becoming one of my new favorites; I like the style and personality of the characters. I am so curious to read something by her that isn't in the same worlds as the others....so how's Shamans Crossing coming?? :cyclopsani:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

OK I just finished reading Ship of Destiny this past weekend. I so love this trilogy. It is down as one of my favorites.
I have a couple of question for those of us who have read it.
Is Amber only just a prophet? I know she is from an ancient breed, but am I missing something cuz' I haven't read the Assassins series?
Also, why did the charm favor Etta so much? Is it becuz' she was to mother the prince child? It just seemed like there would be a deeper meaning/purpose for the charm to get so indignant at Kennits rejection of her....
Also, for those who have read the other series, do they speak of Elderlings in them? Are the other series as good as the Liveship Trilogy?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer