Mists Of Avalon

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Mists Of Avalon

Post by LadyFlame »

Mists of Avalon.....Has anyone out there read it? What'd ya think?
I have known about it forever it seems, and bought it from the used book store and am thinking about getting into soon.
I am interested in some 'reviews' or perhaps a bit of information withOUT spoilers.
Thanks!
:thumleft:

Alia
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Alia »

I read this book several years ago... it's excellent. I enjoyed the book so much I bought the prequel (there maybe two prequels, I'll have to do some research to verify this) to it, but have only barely started reading the first one "The Forest House." Both Books deal heavily into religion, but yet you not feeling overwhelmed by it at any time. I felt I had a better understanding of why characters did what they did.
I enjoyed the book!!

FallenStars&Angels
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by FallenStars&Angels »

i think there are four in the series: forest house, mists of avalon, priestess of avalon, and lady of avalon, but i don;t know what order they go in...

i'm in the middle of Mists, and it is so good, i love it! i saw the miniseries last year. but it in no way did justice to the book. i highly reccomend it

Lady Envy
New User
New User

Post by Lady Envy »

The order of books is Forest House, Lady of Avalon, Priestess of Avalon and Mists of Avalon.Although Priestess of Avalon isn't really part of the series ,it was published after Bradley's death same with Ancestors of Avalon.

Mists of Avalon is an excellent read nice take on the Arthurian Legend.Another good book by her is Firebrand telling the story of Troy from Cassandra's point
hiding under a bush

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

About the only thing I remember is the way she conceptualized the relationship between Arthur, Lancelot, and Guinevere, which I thought was brilliant and made a lot of sense. And if that doesn't get you reading it, Lady Flame, I don't know what will. :) Really a great book. I don't remember details but I do remember the sense of amazement at what Bradley had accomplished in writing it. I did not, however, go on to be a Bradley fan in general, even to read her other Arthurian books. I didn't see how she could do any better than Mists and it felt very complete to me, a stand alone book. What did others think of the prequels? Were they as good as Mists?

I hadn't realized she's done something similar with Troy. I will definitely look up Firebrand.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by LadyFlame »

I just started reading it last week, and I am getting into it.
It is different from Harry Potter, where I just came from Hogwarts, but it is pretty good so far.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Havn't read the book, only saw the movie which was wonderful! Let us know how you like the book.

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Mists of Avalon-

Post by LadyFlame »

I hate to say it, but I had to put it down.....
I got into it a bit, but then I came to the conclusion that, 'you know what? I think I'm bored.'(this is over 200pgs into it-its over 800....), so since I have a WHOLE library full of other books I could read, I decide to let it rest a minute.
Gee, I started two others that I am not pleased with. I realize that I am into good dialect. I think a good author can create a dialect that isn't contrived and lame. These two others I started lack that. Anyways,
I guess that's OK, cuz it lets me get to the other books waiting for me!
:study:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I've read The Forest House, this books prequel for my Independent Arthurian Novel last quarter.

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by berry »

I read the mists of Avalon a good few years ago. I enjoyed very much, Ms Bradley certainly researched her book well. As somone very intrested in ancient English religion I was very impressed by the amoount of detail she worked into the fiction. It was also good to hear the story from the womens point of view since it is usually the Knights that get the spotlight.
If anyone want a good grounding in Druidic and withcraft practices and thier roots I would reccomend this as a more fun way to start than the text books.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx