speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

GemQuest, the series

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gary Wassner » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:08 pm

I do! And here's the acknowledgments page straight from the book:

Acknowledgments

The more books I write, the more people I’m grateful to.
My wife Cathy, my three sons, my daughter in law and my daughter in law to be, of course have to be listed first. Without them, none of this would have any meaning.

R. Scott Bakker, a friend and colleague, who inspired me with his
brilliance, and made me see that the product is as important as the process.

Lisa Rector who helped me make the product something I’m proud of.

Judy Kronish, whose constant assistance and unwavering support has been invaluable.

Justin T, Kathy S, Robb B, Dag R, J. R. M, Brian M, and all the
other people at SFF World, as well as Chris B and my friends at
Speculative Vision.

The list goes on and on.
The fabric weaves of its own will...
Gary Wassner
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby who me » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:51 pm

no spoilers !
Thank you, we love to have you hear.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:06 pm

I told you I would get done with it sooner or later. Though it took me a few months I got it done. i liked the story it was well written and the Lalas was a new twist in my book. Although it did seem to drag due to, in my eyes, too much detail. The detail added to the story but seemed to make it drag by. All and all I would recommend this book to all I talk to.

-Talon-

PS I am currently searching for the others in the series and i hope to finish the series soon.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Gary Wassner » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:33 am

First books are first books, Talon. I realized myself that this book required a little more world building than the rest would. That can become tedious for some, but it's necessary to an extent. Once the world is built, then it isn't so important to be as descriptive. Some people love it. Personally, I'm with you. If I could have gone right into the action and not felt compelled to fill in the backgrounds, I would have been happier myself.

The other two books, and soon the fourth, are available on Amazon all over the world, and direct from my publisher as well, http://www.windstormcreative.com

You can also ask any Barnes and Noble to order them for you if they don't have them on the shelves locally.

Thanks for the support!!
Gary Wassner
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Gary Wassner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:44 am

A very detailed review was just published here:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/ ... _of_.shtml

Thoughts?
Gary Wassner
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby RHFay » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:17 am

My thought, after briefly skimming the review: you give hope to those of us that would like to believe that the epic fantasy is not truly dead.

I think there is still room for the epic fantasy, especially if it explores different themes.

Another thought: man, that was a long review!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Gary Wassner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:13 am

Strange Horizons publishes both short and long reviews. They have specific criteria with regard to what they will publish and they look for analytical reviews as opposed to "I love the book. It rocks!"
Gary Wassner
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby RHFay » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 am

Gary Wassner wrote:Strange Horizons publishes both short and long reviews. They have specific criteria with regard to what they will publish and they look for analytical reviews as opposed to "I love the book. It rocks!"

I think an analytical review may be more helpful for a reader to decide whether or not to read the work in question. The "I love the book. It rocks!" type reviews don't really say much about the book itself. In my opinion, a fair and honest review is better than a fawning approval. And it looks as if Strange Horizons did indeed publish a fair and balanced review of your work. I think it was overall a positive review, too.

It could help you promote your work. And that's always a good thing.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Gary Wassner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

It's particularly nice when someone does such an in depth analysis of a book I've written. It means that it's being taken seriously, which is what I always hope for.

Yes, it's a quite positive review. Even the few qualifications are modified by compliments. I'm really happy with it.
Gary Wassner
Site Regular
Site Regular

Previous

Return to Books and Authors