speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Octavia Butler recommendation?

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Octavia Butler recommendation?

Postby Asp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 am

I haven't read any Octavia Butler, but after reading her obituary I think my next SF book will be one she wrote. For those of you who've read more than one Octavia Butler book, what would you recommend as the first one to read?

Thanks,

Tony
Asp
New User
New User

Try Kindred

Postby jandy » Mon May 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Kindred is one of her best books, IMO. Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents are also touted as some of her better books, but I liked Kindred better. (I probably should read Sower again.) Clay's Ark is another one I especially liked.

I was saddened when I heard of her death. I like her work and was hoping for more.[/i]

Check http://www.jandysbooks.com/sfbooks/kindred.html
jandy
New User
New User

Octavia Butler_Suggested Reading

Postby Chipchinka » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:13 am

Hi.
I came into this thread a bit late, but Octavia E. Butler happens to be one of my favorite authors, so naturally I decided to respond.

As for what book(s) to read first, I might be inclined to suggest Kindred, but I've just revisited her Xenogenesis trilogy, now consolodated under the title "Lilith's Brood." The novels comprising this trilogy are, Dawn, Imago, and Adulthood Rites. They're all fantastic. For something a bit darker, I'd also suggest Clay's Ark. And for something a bit shorter, her collection Bloodchild and Other Stories is filled with all of her short stories and novellas, all of which are brilliant!
Do your quiet answers creep among the stars?
Chipchinka
New User
New User

Return to Recommended Reading