speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fantasy recommendations?

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Fantasy recommendations?

Postby pink_elephant » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone a little more widely read than me could recommend some fantasy authors for me to try.

I generally like fantasy in the vein of Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, um...David Eddings... :oops: (he was my introduction to fantasy, so I'll forever have a place in my heart for the Belgaraid/Mallorean books however bad they may be). I like sort of epic/quest fantasy, with strong female characters in some capacity (like Aes Sedai, for example :wink:) - I'm struggling to know which authors to go for at the moment. I just started Kristen Britain's Green Rider - has anyone read it?

I hope you guys can help advise me...I don't want to reread the Wheel of Time by default again! :)

~Pink
pink_elephant
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Fantasy recommendations?

Postby Pigasus » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 pm

pink_elephant wrote:.. recommend some fantasy authors for me to try.

Saw your post about writing in 'Hi there' thread...

Interested in reviewing books for www.zone-sf.com?
Pigasus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby pink_elephant » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:53 am

Um...maybe, what does it involve? Could you PM me about it?
pink_elephant
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby aldan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Well, if you like Eddings, have you read his Elenium trilogy? Quite good, IMO.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby who me » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:20 am

try Elizabeth Scarborough
"song of sorcery" is good "the unicorn creed" equally as good and "bronwyn's bane" a little less so.

i always bring up thieves world if i can and I can read thieves world.

lord of the rings! thank you. stage right brass hook drags pim off stage.

go hear they have lists of the best fantasy and science fiction books
http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/fantasy100/lists_books.html

hook chases pim about and drags her off stage again...
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby aldan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:09 pm

*nods at pim's Thieves World reference*

It's best if you read that series (and yes, it is a series) in order. TW is a sort of a shared world amongst quite a few authors who each have created characters to inhabit it and then created stories for the world, normally short stories (though there have been a few full-length novels as well). They allowed the other authors to use the characters that they had created in their stories as secondary characters, if the other authors wished. Overall, I'd say that the Thieves World anthology was one of the best anthology series' ever written.

The only difficulty is in finding those books now... because I know that I've not seen any of them in awhile and the anthology part of it has finished (though some of the authors have written novels since then about the world and their characters). I'd suggest searching through the fantasy section at used book stores and also when you're at your fave new book store, check there as well. You may get lucky and find the first book first.... but there were about 12 or 14 books in the anthology (I think), so you should be able to find at least some of the later ones. I used to have the entire series before all the books were stolen from my storage facility (they just cleaned the whole thing out, along with cds, furniture, electronics, etc.).
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Chaeronia » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana would appear to tick the boxes. A quest-based tale with strong, complex (female) characters, it is an intricate, subtle and passionate novel. His characterisation is as good as I've read, which means his plot advancements are utterly affecting. It is also a perfect example of how to make exposition interesting.

Buy, borrow or steal at the first possible opportunity.

Chaeronia
'There's a vampire, dad. It's trying to get me.'
'I know, son,' he said softly. 'I saw it.'
'You saw it?'
'Yeah. I broke its bloody neck. I won't have no vampires in my house.'
Chaeronia
New User
New User

Postby Raesd » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Elizabeth Hayden is a wonderful fantasy writer if you're interested, as well as Andre Norton. Others that come to mind are books like Sara Douglass's Threshold, Princess Bride by William Goldman (yes, the book, not the movie ^^) to name a few

Hope you find something you want to read!
Raesd
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:48 pm

I'll state the obvious: Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillian, etc...). Also C.S. Lewis with his Chronicles of Narnia (The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, The Lion, The Witch and the Wordrobe, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Prince Caspien, he Silver Chair and The Last Battle).

For some extraordinarilly non-traditional fantasy (what I've described on more than one occasion as a Post-Apacolyptic, Sci-fi, Western Epic Fantasy) you should check out Stephen Kings Dark Tower series (The Gunsligner, The Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands, Wizard and Glass, The Wolves of the Calla, The Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower).

There are others I haven't mentioned, as well as other routes you might take in fantasy. But that should suffice for the moment.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

recommended

Postby darknate » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:56 am

i have just put out a great read for anyone in a broad audience to enjoy. check out my site for info on it. it's in my contact info.
later!

DarkNate
darknate
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby NeoScribe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:37 am

Try the Magic, the Gathering series. Specificly the Artifact Cycle (4 books), the Masquerade Cycle (3 books), and the Invasion Cycle (4 books - if you count The Thran, which is a prequal to all the others.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Qray » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 pm

The Finders Stone Trilogy by Kate Novak & Jeff Grubb.

The first book in the series, Azure Bonds has a very strong female as the main protagonist who also plays a significant part in the following two books, The Wyvern's Spur, and Song of the Saurials.

There are well written mysteries that unravel within each book and an overall plot that spans the entire trilogy which all work very well together. They all tie into an intriguing trilogy, but are written so that if you just want to read one book, you can pick any one of them and not feel that your being left out of the story loop as each book can stand on it's own. If you just want to read one of the books, I'd suggest Azure Bonds. Especially if your looking for a strong female as the main character.

What follows is a description from the publisher of Azure Bonds...

Her name is Alias, and she is in big trouble.

She is a sell-sword, a warrior-for-hire, and an adventuress. She awoke with a series of twisting, magical blue sigils inscribed on her arms and no memory of where she got them.

Determined to learn the nature of the mysterious tattoo, Alias joins forces with an unlikely group of companions: the halfling bard, Ruskettle, the southern mage, Akabar, and the oddly silent lizard-man, Dragonbait. With their help, she discovers that the symbols hold the key to her very existence.

But those responsible for the sigils aren't keen on Alias's continued good health. And if the five evil masters find her first, she may discover all too soon their hideous secret.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Next

Return to Recommended Reading