speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fantasy recommendations?

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Qray » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Shandril's Saga by Ed Greenwood.

The three books of Greenwood's Spellfire Trilogy, Spellfire, Crown of Fire, and Hand of Fire are set in the same world as the Finders Stone Trilogy. Greenwood's writing style is different than Novak's and Grubb's, but quite good. The main character of the trilogy, Shandril of Highmoon doesn't start out as a strong female character, but there is a slow, three book long progression of the character into a strong female lead.

What follows is a description from the publishing house of Spellfire...

The Fire That Burns

It can lay low a dragon or heal a wounded warrior.

It is the most sought-after magical power in all Faerûn.

And it is in the reluctant hands of Shandril of Highmoon, a young, orphaned kitchen-lass.

Now she's on the run from half of the evil sorcerers in the land, not to mention their relentless minions. But with the help of a handsome young wizard, some rough-and-tumble Knights of Myth Drannor, and a certain old mage of Shadowdale, she just might manage to stay alive.

At least until tomorrow.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby aldan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:14 pm

I agree with Q on both of those books (and the trilogies, too). They were fun reads and were set in a colorful world with lots of interesting characters as well as non-omnipotent/non-omniscient gods and goddesses. As an aside, Azure Bonds started out as a computer game that came out in (I think) 1990 as Curse of the Azure Bonds, which was the second game in the Pool of Radiance series.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Qray » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:38 pm

aldan wrote:I agree with Q on both of those books (and the trilogies, too). They were fun reads and were set in a colorful world with lots of interesting characters as well as non-omnipotent/non-omniscient gods and goddesses. As an aside, Azure Bonds started out as a computer game that came out in (I think) 1990 as Curse of the Azure Bonds, which was the second game in the Pool of Radiance series.

The book Azure Bonds came out in 1988. The computer game Curse of the Azure Bonds which was a tweaked version of the book came out in 1989. Other than that, your spot on, Aldan.

As an aside, it was a good game. I remember playing it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby sindarella » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:27 pm

here's just a few authors and titles i can remember 'off-the-top-of-my-head'.
they all have quite strong female characters and an element of 'the quest'.

*isobelle carmody - obernewtyn, the farseekers, ashling....

*sara douglass - battleaxe, enchanter, starman....

*robin hobb - ship of magic, the mad ship, ship of dreams

*traci harding - the ancient future, an echo in time, master's of reality....

*j.v.jones - a cavern of black ice, a fortress of grey ice...

*holly lisle - a diplomacy of wolves, a vengeance of dragons, a courage of falcons

*andre norton & mercedes lackey - elvenbane, elvenblood, elvenborn

*george r. martin - a game of thrones

i've also read "the green rider". what did you think of it?
sindarella
New User
New User

Postby Ledh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 am

I would stronglyadvise Robin Hobb. She mostly writes trilogies: The Living Ships, the Fool, ... They're all really good!

Raymond E Feist writes nicely, I think. I've read ' Elfwood' by him, which is a single book, not a trilogy ( for a change!) and it's really well written.
Ledh
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:18 am

I recommend Terry Brooks the Word/Void trilogy and his Shannara series. The Magic Kingdom for sale also by Terry Brooks is a good read though it is more of a light fantasy, at least to me, I also recommend R.A. Salvatore's with the Drizzit series.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jagged » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 am

Hmmm, alot of good stuff out there. I would recommend reading A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It's the best series out there in my opinion and that included LOTR. Martins style is not flashy but everything in the book is important and I love his characters. You won’t find any super dark elf ninjas or all powerful Wizards but you will find people. There is magic but it is understated, like a movie that uses just enough special effects to tell the story perfectly and doesn’t substitute pretty pictures for plot and good acting.

HBO also just optioned the rights to the series so if things go well we could possibly see and HBO series in 3 or so years.

Erikson’s Book of the Fallen series is also good. It's more sword and sorcery but that is fun too. Of my recommendations probably the closest to what your used to and it’s a very fun series. I would read Martin before this series though.

You might also try Bakkers Prince of Nothingness trilogy. Although I warn you that views on this are mixed. You either really like it or despise it with the utmost passion. The first book takes some time to get into but I found it ultimately worth it. I would suggest either Martin or Erikson first though. The Prince of nothing books are dark…very, very dark. You will struggle to find a character to truly stand behind. Don’t read them if you want a happy book because that they most certainly are not.
Jagged
New User
New User

Postby berry » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

If you like the female hero or even anti hero type of thing 'the mists of avalon' is a good one. Marion Zimmer Bradley's version of the Arthurian tales from a female perspective. She has really done her research and so the book has a real historical feel as well as a fantasy one. Her research into ancient English religions is great.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Fantasy recommendations?

Postby Anime Trekker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:49 pm

The "Noble Dead" series by Barb and J.C. Hendee are excellent. They combine vampires (the heroine is a Dhampir) and Tolkien-esque style fantasy:

List of Books in the "Noble Dead" series:

Series 1
Dhampir (2003, ISBN 0-451-45906-7)
Thief of Lives (2004, ISBN 0-451-45953-9)
Sister of the Dead (2005, ISBN 0-451-46009-X)
Traitor to the Blood (2006, ISBN 0-451-46066-9)
Rebel Fay (2007, ISBN 0-451-46121-5)
Child of a Dead God (January 2008, ISBN 0-451-46187-8)

Series 2
In Shade and Shadow (scheduled for 2009)
Through Stone & Sea (scheduled for 2010)
Third book (working title: Of Truth & Beasts) (scheduled for 2011)
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Xyster » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Anyone reccomend the Elfborn series by Mercedes lackey yet? It has a really strong main charactear who is a girl, actually quite a few of Mercedes Lakey's books feature strong female characters in one form or another even if they aren't the main character.
Also good books by her:
Owl Flight, Owl Sight, Owl Knight
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby brent.bennett » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 am

Shannara byTerry Brooks. Is another of those, Goodkind, Brooks, Eddings fantasy epic that is worth the time and effort to read them all. like 14 books in the series, not counting the 3 books called the Genesis of Shannara that bridges the gap between his Shannara world and his "Knight of the Word" world. Wonderful.

I was annoyed because each book involves a different generation, but it all wonderfully connects and spans a very long time frame in the world of Shannara. And after book two or three you get used to it and find you rather enjoy the change and enjoy the fact that he pulls it off really well. READ IT.
brent.bennett
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Recommended Reading