speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Need Recomendations :(, DT and Gaimen-esque taste

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Need Recomendations :(, DT and Gaimen-esque taste

Postby shane_lxi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm

I just got into reading sci-fi and fantasy recently. Wasnt previously very interested. I've read through stephen kings dark tower series, and almost all of Neil Gaimens books now, the lotr series, as well as the first 8 books of the wheel of time series. I'm more into the former 2 then the latter series and far as my tastes go, but I am very open as long as it's good writing. The last time I accepted a recomendation, I was very unnimpressed with the Electric Church (so stupid :P).

Anybody have any recomenations? I've heard the orsen scott card's enders series is good, but I'm worried it'd be to childish? Help me! I dont want to waste my time on another EC dissapointment!! lol.
shane_lxi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Need Recomendations :(, DT and Gaimen-esque taste

Postby Bmat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm

I enjoyed Ender's. (I didn't like the Wheel series, and the LOTR series I ended up skimming through a good part of it. I haven't read the other series that you mentioned.)

I wonder if Bujold's Chalion series would work for you. It is fantasy. The first is The Curse of Chalion, I believe.

Have you read Asimov's Foundation series? It is classic science fiction.

Another series that I enjoy is Cherryh's Foreigner series. also science fiction but not as dry as Asimov's.

Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and others.

Another that might appeal is Ringworld by Larry Niven.

Bujold's Vorkosigan series, and Zelazny's Amber series, are some of my favorites.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby shane_lxi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I havent read any of those series', but Ringworld looks interesting. The only problem I have with old science fiction is how apparently outdated it is when you read it. I might give it a shot.

You've never read the dark tower series?! Give it a try, it's damn good! I ended up skimming through most of lotr too, too many names/locations/races/culture's etc. etc. to keep track of, got confusing. I had to read it twice to make sure I didnt miss something, lol.
shane_lxi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:19 pm

I'd strongly recommend giving Philip K. Dick a chance. I can give you a little outline to maybe help give you a sense of what he was about. Wikipedia explains him well with:

Philip Kindred Dick (December 16, 1928 – March 2, 1982) was an American science fiction novelist and short story writer. Dick explored sociological, political and metaphysical themes in novels dominated by monopolistic corporations, authoritarian governments, and altered states. In his later works, Dick's thematic focus strongly reflected his personal interest in metaphysics and theology.

He was also deeply paranoid, to the point where he was actually pronounced clinically insane at one point. But he nevertheless had a powerful and intriguing mind, and stories that were at once rich, thought-provoking and thrilling. I can't think of another science fiction author whom I would recommend higher, at this point in time at least. He has had a huge impact on the modern culture, much more so than many, many people realize. Motion pictures based on his works include Ridley Scott's classic "Blade Runner" (based on Dick's novel, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?,") "Total Recall" (based on his short story, "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale"), "Minority Report", "Impostor", "Screamers", "A Scanner Darkly", "The Golden Men" and "King of the Elves" is set for release in 2012.

With where you might start, if interested, perhaps the novel "Ubik." It's Dick's first novel to question how we perceive reality and to suggest that there are more forces at work in its crazy design than the Human mind. Chip works for an anti-psi security agency, which hires out its talents to block telepathic snooping and paranormal dirty tricks, but is killed while handling a special job on the moon. Or so it appears, until messages from him begin appearing on toilet walls, traffic tickets and product labels, talking about a hard-to-find panacea called Ubik. Meanwhile fragments of reality are ‘timeslipping’ into past perceptions; Joe Chip's beloved stereo system reverts to a hand-cranked 78 player with bamboo needles. Comedic and tragic, fierce and plot-shifting, thought-provoking and anxiety-charged, the novel remains a favourite among Dick fans and is attributed as an inspiration for the movie "The Matrix." Many readers hold a sentimental love for this story.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby shane_lxi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:13 pm

I just got my copy of china mieville's "perdido street station", but I will definately give that author a go when I am done! When I find an author I like, I usually read most or all of their books, lol. I get obsessed!
shane_lxi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Chaeronia » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 am

shane_lxi wrote:I just got my copy of china mieville's "perdido street station", but I will definately give that author a go when I am done! When I find an author I like, I usually read most or all of their books, lol. I get obsessed!

After seeing that you liked Gaiman, Mieville was the author I was going to recommend. However, I was going to suggest his young-adult novel, Un Lun Dun, which is similar to Neverwhere in theme, and a very good read for all age ranges.

Still, Perdido St Station is an astounding read, as are its two loose sequels, The Scar and Iron Council, both for very different reasons. Mieville is an absolute favourite of mine, though not for everyone: he's often labelled verbose, bombastic, and that either draws you in completely to his milieu, or puts you off it altogether. Fortunately for me it was the first.

You've chosen well!
'There's a vampire, dad. It's trying to get me.'
'I know, son,' he said softly. 'I saw it.'
'You saw it?'
'Yeah. I broke its bloody neck. I won't have no vampires in my house.'
Chaeronia
New User
New User

Return to Recommended Reading