speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Silvanus' reading suggestions.

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Silvanus' reading suggestions.

Postby spknoevl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 am

Silvanus wrote:
spknoevl wrote:Dan Brown is a good read with a fast paced story. If you like that type of pacing, John Grisham is another writer who writes stories that pull you into the action almost from the first page and keeps the storyline moving.

As far as fantasy suggestions, I'd like to suggest a couple of authors to the excellent suggestions already posted:

Terry Brooks - any of the Shannara books

R.A. Salvatore - any of his Forgotten Realms books

I CANNOT read Terry Brooks. Sword of Shannara ruined him in my mind. It was such an obvious LOTR rip off that I gave up on him.

@Way: Martin is excellent. And I agree Jacques is a good writer, you're refering I think to his redwall series? I have every book up until Triss.

While I agree Sword has a very strong LOTR influence, his later writings show him finding his own way. There wasn't a lot of writers in the speculative fantasy genre when he wrote Sword and he was one of the first to show that after Tolkien there was a market for those types of books and writers.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Silvanus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:23 pm

spknoevl wrote:While I agree Sword has a very strong LOTR influence, his later writings show him finding his own way. There wasn't a lot of writers in the speculative fantasy genre when he wrote Sword and he was one of the first to show that after Tolkien there was a market for those types of books and writers.

Mm..hmmm... well, I can find original stories that even began original and read them. So I will. I respect that he opened up the genre further, but I cannot respect that novel. Perhaps I will read one of the others, but I think it more likely I won't. I have too many other works on my list.
-Silv
Silvanus
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby spknoevl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 pm

You're certainly entitled to feel that way if you want, but you are denying yourself the chance to read some awfully good books. Don't forget that Tolkien himself was influenced by Norse and English folklore and legends and those influences can be found in parts of LOTR.

Check out some of the later Shannara books and you might be pleasantly surprised. The stories are original and Brook's himself is an accomplished wordsmith.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:56 am

I would recommend reading Terry Brooks Word and Void triolgy Sil, it is by far the best of his works in my opinion and should not remind you of LOTR at all.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Silvanus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

I'll look into it sometime when I get the chance.
-Silv
Silvanus
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (16)

Previous

Return to Recommended Reading