speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Brandon Sanderson- ELANTRIS

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Brandon Sanderson- ELANTRIS

Postby LadyFlame » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 am

HI there!
I found a really great book by Brandon Sanderson, called Elantris.
It is a fantasy, but a twinge of sci-fi...
From Booklist
Until 10 years ago, Elantris was the capital of Arelon, inhabited by ordinary humans transformed into magic-using demigods by the Shaod. But the magic failed, Elantris started to rot, and its inhabitants turned into powerless wrecks. Princess Sarene of Teod arrives in Kae, the new capital, close enough to Elantris to constantly remind of faded glory, prepared for a marriage to ally Teod and Arelon against the religious imperialists of Fjordell. But, she is told, her fiance, Prince Raoden, is dead. She and a recently arrived high priest of Fjordell, Hrathen, clash. Sarene tries to retain the freedom of Teod and Arelon, Hrathen tries to incite the populace to convert so that Fjordell can take over. Neither suspects the truth about Raoden. Taken by the Shaod, he struggles to unite the crippled Elantrians and discover why the magic failed. The unrest comes to a head as governments topple, the Elantrians' secrets are revealed, and Fjordell's forces arrive. A surprisingly satisfying, single-volume epic fantasy that invokes a complex, vibrant world.

I thought it was so cool, and rather enjoyed the mystery of 'what in the WORLD happend to the city, and why?'...I thought it was very well created and thought out and clever...mystery, magic, a tad romance, and great characters...try it out! I gained a new favorite author....and I hear he's one day going to write a sequel, and I think I'd rather enjoy that as well, becuz' this particular world is pretty interesting...
If you've read Elantris, let me know what you think about it...
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Brandon Sanderson- ELANTRIS

Postby spknoevl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:52 am

I've got that book sitting in my "to read" pile. Glad to know it should be worth the wait.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby dawnzky05 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:20 am

I read the section you were pointing. I agree with you! It's really worth the wait.

---------------------------
diet add-ons
dawnzky05
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby spknoevl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:30 am

Just recently finished the book and have to agree it was well written, with good character development and an interesting storyline. Kind of a cross between fantasy and sci-fi, but well worth picking up.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby LadyFlame » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Yes, I really dug this book. I loved his take on magic too, and the mystery in the story.
This actually was my first introduction into rune magic...

I also read his other novel Mistborn...VERY cool story with another twist on magic...creative- I thought.
I'm currently waiting for book 2- The Well of Ascension-of the trilogy to arrive....
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby halfbloodprince » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:15 am

I enjoyed this book as well. I would definitely recommend it.
halfbloodprince
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Qray » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:36 am

Welcome to SV, halfbloodprince.

What is it about the book that you enjoyed?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby LadyFlame » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I Loved this book!
I'm waiting for a sequel. I think Sanderson is toying with the idea of one, so I'm sure we'll get one soon enough...

Ambrose Redmoon

LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Return to Recommended Reading