top 10

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderator: Bmat

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

would these two books fit
ken follett the pillars of the earth
umberto eco the name of the rose
there not relay fantasy well sort of, maby?

Aslan
New User
New User

Post by Aslan »

Anthentar - kind of. Not exactly a setting up of a new empire, but rather a redevelopment of order out of the inevitable chaos resulting from the Empire's fall. Asimov wrote it based on his readings of The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. I think you're thinking of the same books I am, though.

Fantasy Man - we're talking about The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. A classic!

who me - I haven't read Pillars of the Earth, but I think Name of the Rose is historical fiction, isn't it? If that were something we could choose from, I'd put Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson on my top 20 list for sure. Excellent book. Historical fiction centered on cryptography. Especially enjoyable to nerds like myself. But not sci-fi or fantasy.

Magus - Great list! 8) The only ones I didn't think were great are Timeline and The Silmarillion. Timeline was okay. Too many plot holes and weak characters to be great, though (for me). The Silmarillion also didn't have great characters and was kind of boring to me. But it wasn't intended to be a normal novel, so that's okay. It was meant to be a history. It did its job well.
I haven't read The Long Walk or The Ragwitch. I'll have to pick them up!

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yes, I found that out yesterday actually. I went over to my sisters apartment and she has the trilogy. I read the back of it and saw pretty much what you said there. It brings up a very good question:

Would you rather live during a Civilization's rise or its decline and fall?

That question actually came from Revenge of the Nerds, but still a good thought provoking one
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

pillars of the earth is really good. it takes place in England 1123-1173, like name of the rose more a historical drama but any one who even remotely likes fantasy will love this book, actually i don't know any one who has not liked this novel.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Yeah, Timline did have very weak characters. The corporate executive guy is basically the same character as were the ones from Jurassic Park and Congo. And the others weren't anything impressive. Crichton has some much greater books out there then this, but I found the concept highly interesting and intriguing, very entertaining. So, while it could have been done better, the concept of time travel really being inter dimensional travel and trying to rescue somebody from the "past" I found to be rotten good fun to read.

The reason why The Silmarillian and Dune are so low is that, while very good, weren't as good as they could have been. They both have great moments of glory ( "Of Beren and Luthien" in The Silmarillian and that one chapter in Dune where the Baron fight in the gladiator ring.) But both I found to be very dry read, no pun intended. The Silmarillian because they're basically Tolkien's published summery of his book and Dune... well, it was just kind of dry. I really wish that I could have read what Tolkien intended The Silmarillian to be, but alas he died while writing it. I also found the fact that about fifteen or twenty of the main characters names began with "far" or "fara". It was very hard to keep some of the strait as a result.

Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Alaskamatt17 »

1) The Lord of the Rings

2) The Chronicles of Narnia

3) 2001: A Space Odyssey

4) The Thief of Always

5) The Golden Compass

6) The Hobbit

7) Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (The Dragonbone Chair, The Stone of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower)

8) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

9) The Once and Future King

10) Jurassic Park
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

I love lists, so i thought you might like these sights, that way you can get more books, you know to put on top of the pile of books you already have that you will read "when you have the time."

[url][url]http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/fantasy100/lists_books.html[/url][/url]

[url][url]http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/[/url][/url]

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

How does Animal Farm count as fantasy? Or, for that matter, Dracula?

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

i did not make the list.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

O.K. But when they start adding books on the list that aren't Fantasy it makes me question their criteria. Although I'm glad to see The Gunslinger on there, along with The Hobbit, The Silmarillian and The Lord of the Rings.

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

I think that it is by popular vote, they tell you somewhere. I can see how Dracula made the fantasy list. most fantasy readers have read Dracula, and it is a great book, also it practically invented the vampire ( before that vampires were only found in Romain folk tales )
I saw a great documentary on this professor who is gathering all the old folk tales on vampires and werewolves. its really interesting.

like in Romania if the people think that some one is a vampire, they do drive a stake threw the persons corpse, but it duos not have to go threw the hart it just has to pin him to the ground, "so he can not get up." they use Iron the vampire has to remain pinned to the ground till he rots, if the wood stake rots faster than the corpse of the vampire he will get up again,
also the vampire goes after family members who he (the vampire) feel wronged him in life.

the werewolf tales are also interesting. the story's vary more over time and locality.
there is only one were wolf and he is a man who is king of the wolves and there brother. the professor doing the research found the man who the Romanians currently say is the werewolf. there was this interview with him. ill have to look up the name of the professor.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

( before that vampires were only found in Romain folk tales )

Not quite. Every society in the world had their own vampire myth. The Mayans had one, Europeans had one, Asians had one, even Native Americans had one. Now, naturally, there were some differences. But the basic concept was the same.