speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Family Trade by Charles Stross

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Family Trade by Charles Stross

Postby LadyFlame » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:59 pm

So, my Pops recommended it to me, and I was a little adverse to check it out. But, I had hit a wall in my desires to read what I had on the shelf, so I decided to try it I am totally sucked in!
I am just entering book two which is the Hidden Family....
Before I get into discussion, has anyone read it, or any of Stross's books?
If so, DON'T give any spoilers! :smt018
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: The Family Trade by Charles Stross

Postby Bmat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I haven't. What's it about?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby LadyFlame » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:10 am

Well, it's different for me, so that is a first. I usually read more fantasy than Sci-Fi, and I usually don't like anything that is in 'modern' times, but I like this book.
It's about a woman who discovers some pretty dark secrets of her past. They have the magical ability to walk into parallel worlds. Her new discovered family (she was an orphan; her mom was murdered when she was a baby) just happen to be the wealthiest family over there and the world is full of intrigue and economical politics. She just so happens to be a sharp intelligent lady and somehow survives numerous assassination attempts.
I like it cuz' the story kicks in on page one and doesn't stop. I am in book two now, and there is a little bit of a lull, but I think that it is normal with any story getting deeper.
It kind of reminds me a an Angelina Joelie movie, if you catch my drift. Damsel is happy being awesome in life, life takes a turn to adventure and intrigue and damsel kicks every ones butt, somehow beating the system thrown at her, while trying to stay alive.
I guess no one has heard of this series!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:26 am

Thank you for the review.

The premise reminds me of the Amber series by Zelazny. With some Xena thrown in. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Recommended Reading