speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Vampires

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Vampires

Postby LadyFlame » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:19 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books with vampires?
I have a slight interest, but I have a bookworm friend who loves ones with vampires in it. :twisted:
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby aldan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:39 pm

Really, any of them that I could suggest that are vampire-centered are ones your friend probably already has. Any of the books by Laurell Hamilton, plus that series by Anne Rice... I don't read 'em myself, but I do pick up books to purvey what they're about, so I know about those two sets...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby FallenStars&Angels » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 am

amelia atwater-rhodes has some awesome vampire books, Demon in My View and In the Forests of the Night are my two favorite. she's an extremely talented writer, one of my favorites
FallenStars&Angels
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ariel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Only read one of the Anne Rice books, and Dracula. Not much into vampires, but those were good. I'm sure your friend has read these already.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Cardenio » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi, my first real post here, except for in the meet and greet section.
I have always been into SF mainly, but then I got a Laurell K Hamilton book, and now I've got them all. Another good author to try is Kelley Armstrong, she does an interesting take on vampires and werewolves. For a more lighter read you could try Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse books.
Cardenio
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby VampGrrl » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:16 am

Ooh, now here's my thread! I have a love of paranormal romances and books with bite (but not really very dark vampire stories). What I like: Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series (her earlier books are not to be missed but the later ones turn into a lot of sex and little plot). Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series. Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. Jenna Maclaine is a new author that's not to be missed. For a lighter, more humorous read I'd go with Katie Mcalister's vampire series. She also has a non-vampirey series called Aisling Gray, Guardian, that's cool. Right now I'm reading The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein by Minda Webber... to be followed by The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing. Feel free to e-mail me if you or your friend need opinions on anything else in the paranormal romance-type genre. I'm sure there are a lot that I can't think of right now but these would be my top picks.
VampGrrl
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby LadyFlame » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Thank U VampGrrl! :thumleft:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby SirJill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:54 pm

I'd reccomend Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and Anne Rice, I suppose, but not Laurell K. Hamilton.

Yes, the characters are good. The writing? Awful. I read most of the earlier books (VampGrrl is right--I was so disappointed in Narcissis in Chains; I barely got through it) and the characters are wonderful, they're funny and they work well together but the writing...the style is just awful. So I'd say read them at your own risk.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby VampGrrl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:30 pm

SirJill wrote:I'd recommend Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and Anne Rice, I suppose, but not Laurell K. Hamilton.

Yes, the characters are good. The writing? Awful. I read most of the earlier books (VampGrrl is right--I was so disappointed in Narcissus in Chains; I barely got through it) and the characters are wonderful, they're funny and they work well together but the writing...the style is just awful. So I'd say read them at your own risk.

Yeah, Narcissus in Chains is where it went south for me too. It was not one of my favorites and Cerulean Sins and Incubus Dreams were just a lot of sex held together by very series-inconsistent plot. Yet I keep buying them because I'm hoping she'll fix it, but I don't rush right out and get them the first day anymore.

See, I didn't mind her writing style... it was fine with me, but the editing and typos are awful- you'd think someone would read the things before they publish it. And sometimes there are glaring inconsistencies. Remember when they wrecked the car in the graveyard "something big broke underneath it" and the tow truck towed it off, Anita got a ride home from Larry... and woke up the next morning and jumped in the car and drove to a meeting?? If stuff like that and the typos turns you off to a book then you might reconsider, but if you can deal with that and move on then her books up to Narcissus in Chains are great. Anita's world really sucks you in. I think I read the first 5 or 6 on my vacation one year! :D
VampGrrl
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Beltaer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:14 pm

Bit late but Darren shan's books are quite good although they are aimed at 13-15yr olds but i still enjoyed them :vampbat:
Beltaer
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Tina » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:56 am

I enjoyed Richard Laymons Bite and The Traveling Vampire Show.

Poppy Z Brite has a few also that are very modern day, gothish type too.
Tina
New User
New User

Postby MrB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:58 pm

Just finished reading I am Legend by Richard Matheson, about the last surviving human in a world of vampires, it's only a very short book, and shouldn't take you too long to read, but it's a jolly good yarn with a nice twist at the end...
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.
MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Next

Return to Recommended Reading