speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Magazines

Magazines, webzines, comic books, etc.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Do you subscribe to any speculative fiction magazines?

Yes - a print mag
13%
Yes - an e-zine
6%
Yes - both
No votes
Nope!
81%

Total votes : 16

Postby Bmat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:50 pm

LightBrigade wrote:So far, of nine members who voted, one has subscribed to a printed specfi magazine, eight to none. It it a matter of cost, time available for reading or is it the quality of content which might explain the result, I wonder.

A friend lent me a stack of SF magazines. I found that I didn't have time to read them. For the few that I read, there were usually one or two stories that I liked but not more than that. For science fiction news there are online sources, such as http://www.locusmag.com/.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Ariel » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:16 pm

I do not have the funds to subscribe to all the wonderful publications that I enjoy;Birds And Blooms,Jewelry making,crafts,
paranormal,Prevention and other health magazines,herbs etc.
With all the books I have besides,I simply wouldn't have the time to read them all.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Aslan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:12 am

LB, I've found the quality to be very high in magazines like F&SF and Asimov's. People who like books don't always like short stories, though. In my opinion, short stories are more accessible and enjoyable to writers than casual readers. It's a challenge to create memorable plot and/or characters with less text. As a writer, I enjoy seeing how others ply their craft.

Also, I have come to enjoy serial stories on occasion - ones in which a protagonist returns for multiple tales a la Sherlock Holmes. Serial short stories are to books as TV is to movies, however. It's a different sort of craft. I totally understand if not everybody appreciates it.

Meanwhile, every month I'll continue to enjoy reading five or six original stories by up-and-coming authors. Perfect for breaks at work!
Aslan
New User
New User

Postby LightBrigade » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:47 am

Thank you, Bmat, Aslan *s*

Aslan, after reading your post, I am able to appreciate the kind of press and genre of story we are discussing better. So much that I feel sorry to have direct access neither to F&SF nor to Asimov's - a matter of Press representation facility over an ocean away... oh, alright, fifth world conditions, perhaps? *self-sarcastic s*

I am so intrigued, I have to admit, at your post, especially when I read about how you compare your authoring capacity with reading, a useful habit I have until now been wondering to observe not many value.

Personal note: Having joined the new Site only very recently, I am glad to see Aslan is here, too *s*
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Aslan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks, LB!

If Asimov's and F&SF aren't available to you, I'd recommend picking up some short story anthologies from the library. I'm not a fan of themed anthologies, but I absolutely love reading the collected Hugo and Nebula winners for various years. They usually contain the award winning novella, novelette, and short story. They also often contain runners-up. Look for them in your local library.

You can start in the 60s and work your way up to present day. You'll see the best short stories in the genre, AND you'll get a sense of how the genre has changed in the last few decades.
Aslan
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:45 pm

I have a book of Locus Award winners. I think it might have been Gnollslayer (AlaskaMatt) who recommended it, but I don't remember. I've managed to crack down on that well enough and am chipping away at is when I can. And I would like to get a hold of past Locus Award winning and runner up stories myself, but lack the time, at the moment, to read them. Maybe another time though I'll be able to.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby LightBrigade » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:49 pm

You are welcome, Alsan *s* Thank you for the suggestions!
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby eleika » Tue May 10, 2005 7:48 pm

I read a few webzines, off and on, mostly because I volunteer with one (I'm the fiction editor, whee!). I don't "subscribe", but I visit their sites to see what's out there from time to time.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:51 pm

Realms of Fantasy is the big one.

http://www.rofmagazine.com

I wrote a short story last night, a short one, that I think would be perfect for it. I'm seriously considering submitting it to them.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:01 pm

I get that magazine from time to time. It's a wonderful publication ! :flower:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:13 pm

It has myth-like stories, with a moral pitch to them. Thought-provoking ideas.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:33 pm

I got my EW today, the Summer Movie Preview! It's going to be a good one. And, also, in the books section they have the "What's New In Fantasy" section again. I was wondering when they'd get back to that, as they have a section every week dedicated to a differeing branch of genre fiction.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Other Reading