speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Tom Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court

Magazines, webzines, comic books, etc.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Tom Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court

Postby Qray » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:23 am

She does have her normal eye makeup on. Tom's artistic style has changed in the last two Chapters as it's progressed. So IMO, her makeup doesn't look as terrible as it once did (even though his intention has always been to make it look so,) but she is wearing it.

I think Antimony's statement to Renard of "you can only speak the truth when you talk to me...so let me hear you say it," is going to come back and bite her in the form of an epiphany from Renard. Perhaps it was Antimony's father who was responsible for her Mother's illness or something just as damning.

Considering what we know about Antimony's Father, I can she his zeal for curing her Mother as nothing more than a scientific challenge and not out of love for Surma.

In Chapter 14, "Fangs of Summertime," Antimony says that it wouldn't be for over two years until she heard from her Father. Isn't this the third year that she's been in school at GC? That means her Father will make an appearance during the next school year.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Bmat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am

What Rey said makes sense- I'd wondered why Annie was in the hospital with her mother for so long.

This seems like a nightmare sequence, although we didn't see Annie being sleepy or lying down. Her guilty feelings might be welling up if she is asleep and causing this dream. Although this theory isn't likely, I suspect.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 am

Thanks for this thread: I'd never heard of this online illustrated serial. Finally got through all 31 current chapters (and they were progressively fascinating). I'll be following it along now too.
I suspect the experience of reading a 3/week serial will be different than having the extended story to go through at leisure. A lot more room for speculation!
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Qray » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 am

Welcome to the discussion, Asp.

When I first read it through, I was really bumming that I had to then wait for the thrice weekly updates as I found the story intriguing and the artwork getting better and better. It was like "no! no! I want to know what happens NOW!" What really sucked was at that point, the story had gotten to one of it's Summer break period. So I had to wait weeks for story updates to continue.

However, Tom is very punctual with his updates. He's written far ahead of the current storyline and as far as I know, he's never missed an update.

Bmat wrote:What Rey said makes sense- I'd wondered why Annie was in the hospital with her mother for so long.

This seems like a nightmare sequence, although we didn't see Annie being sleepy or lying down. Her guilty feelings might be welling up if she is asleep and causing this dream. Although this theory isn't likely, I suspect.

It also sheds light on a comment that Reynard made in Chapter 3 when he firsts encounters Antimony. "...so this must be her [Surma's] daughter. And this means...she is gone. My poor Surma."

I always wondered why Reynard assumed that Surma was gone by the fact that Antimony was there. I had assumed that he'd been told of her illness and since her daughter was now at the Court, thought she must have passed away. But now it seems he knew more than was being revealed at the time.
Qray

Postby Bmat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:51 am

http://gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

Woah!!!!

I wonder what this means!?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Asp Zelazny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm

My bet is that Antimony turns out to be some kind of ? psychic vehicle for the essence of her mother, who may have been ill for entirely different reasons. It would tie in well with the connection of physical science and psychic occurances that the place seems to be made out of. Perhaps an experiment in creating a type of immortality?
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 pm

I hadn't thought of this. My thought was that Coyote gave Annie's mother a power that had the downside that a child of hers would collect the mother's soul as the child grew, finally killing the mother. I wondered about why Annie was raised in the hospital, too.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Qray » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:08 am

The title of this Chapter should be "Exposition."

Interesting thoughts. I'm going to go with the idea that Antimony's mother used to be a forest creature that "crossed over" and became human.
Qray

Postby Qray » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 am

City Face is back!
Qray

Postby who me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 pm

it is?
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

The Super Awesome City Face!

Postby Qray » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Qray

Postby who me » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Annie is home.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

PreviousNext

Return to Other Reading