speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Tom Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court

Magazines, webzines, comic books, etc.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Tom Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court

Postby Qray » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 am

Is it just me, or is anyone else not liking the direction this is taking?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Asp Zelazny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Too early to say. We know very little about what happened in the forest over that summer, and we know apparently as much as Antimony does about why her friend is acting that way.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I assume that Kat is in a snit because Antimony had promised to spend the summer with her and just took off instead to spend it elsewhere.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 am

I'm referring more to the whole direction the story has taken since Antimony threw a fit and went off on Rey.

I can see Kat's point of view. As friends go, Antimony has become very self-absorbed. Though she did make Kat some boots. "Hey, I know I blew you off and didn't even bother letting you know face-to-face that I was ditching you for the Summer, but...er...I made you some boots!"

I can see the growing (or continuing) division between the forest and the Court being played out in Antimony and Kat.
Qray

Postby who me » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:56 am

bet that the end f the story will be a reconsiliation of the two.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

It's Basil!

Postby Qray » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am

Antimony seems to be missing the point.

But on the other hand, I've missed Red. It's good to see her again.

"Hey, fats mcgee! Be friends with Lady tubsalot again!"

Priceless, Red. She should tell Annie that if she wants Kat to be her friend again, all she needs to do is make her hair GO UP! :thumright:
Qray

Postby Bmat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm

It occurred to me that maybe what is confusing Kat is not so much about Annie deserting her without notice in the summer, but that Kat has found out what Annie is, and she isn't sure about this.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Qray » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 am

Coyote refers to Jones as "Wandering Eye." What do you think of the possibility that Jones is some variation on the Egyptian myth of HetHert/Sekhmet (or Tefnut in other versions.) Who was called both the "Wandering Goddess" and the "Eye of Re."

Also, Diego called the Elf that Jeanne was in love with "that traitor." Is it possible that the Elf was once human and "took the test" to live in the forest?

Also, during the meeting of the original founders of the court, there was one member who dissented with the plan to kill Jeanne and walked out of the room (as seen in the video playback of Diego's little robot gift to Jeanne in Chapter 25.) In a later Chapter, Antimony suggests investigating Steadman, "The Archer" to find out more about the plan to kill Jeanne. If there was a dissenter in the ranks of the Court's founders, would the dissenter have left any clues behind for someone to find after the Court erased any mention of Jeanne or the plan from the records?

Yup, I've been rereading old Chapters. :mrgreen:
Qray

Postby Asp Zelazny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Does anyone have an opinion about what is currently happening in this latest storyline? The Naming of Red in this other-existence seems to be a big deal, though that character has been defined in consensus reality earlier in the storyline. I suspect that we are supposed to understand that we are in some altered state due to the notable scar on Antimony's cheek ... I remember that as a trope earlier in the story, but have forgotten what it is supposed to signify.

Odd also that all the characters seem to be much younger in the way they are currently drawn ...

On another, semi-related note: is anyone following Questionable Content? It is a bizarrely funny comic about the adventures of slackerish 20-somethings in a somewhat alternate reality. Well drawn, snarkily funny, and engaging; has a storyline that even has you caring about what happens to the characters. Caution: some (not overplayed) Adult Content included.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 pm

I think I can answer some of the questions, although I haven't figured out about the chapter yet. The scar is from the sword slash that the lady guarding the river separating the school and the forest gave Antimony. The scar shows up when Antimony is in the alternate state- the ether.
Here is a summary I found of the event of the slash: http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/Chapt ... her_Things .
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Qray » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree with Bmat. The scar only shows up when Antimony is in the Ether and Jeanne (the ghost of the Annon waters) is now a being of the ether. So the scar, being caused by a being of the ether, is only visible when in the ether.

Also, when in the ether, the individual appears to look as how they perceive themselves. As hinted at in Chapter 20. So that may be why they look different to you.

Tom does a lot of foreshadowing. Many chapters I've read that made me think "well that was a complete waste of story progression" have later turned out to be quite useful. The thing I find interesting about Red being named is I always thought Brinnie (from Chapter 22) was a former forest being. But if she has a name, she obviously isn't. Or perhaps she is and Brinnie is a type of nickname used by friends to identify her? But wouldn't that be the same as naming someone?

I've been following Questionable Content since it started. Lately I haven't been that diligent in checking the updates as I wasn't all that happy with the way Jeph played out the "Martin and Dora breaking up" storyline and the storyline of Marigold's AnthroPC getting a new body.
Qray

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks to you both for the clarification. I've followed this along, but haven't really devoted enough time to thinking back on the foreshadowing and some of the other details. There is obviously a dark story here somewhere, very slowly being revealed, but it is overlaid with this middle-school-ish setting that deceptively lightens it. Many threads woven in a tricky pattern.

I've been following Questionable Content for about a year now, having been referred there from Matazone/Trouble Down Pit. I agree that Martin v Dora was not well handled, though I suppose a lot of thngs in life like that aren't handled well. Since Marigold's PC got her new body however I think the story line has picked up a bit, and explored the alternate reality tech of that existence: currently they are on Hannelore's father's space station. But if you think the Martin v Dora thing went badly, Martin was even more of a doofus with Padma, the next one. Let's hope that Martin is not the alterego of the author or he is likely to die friendless and alone.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to Other Reading