speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

E-books vs. Print (or "To E or not to E?")

Magazines, webzines, comic books, etc.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

E-books vs. Print (or "To E or not to E?")

Postby Sara » Sun May 22, 2005 8:30 am

I'm curious -- do any of you read e-books? I've heard lots of things about how e-books are a growing trend, and while they won't kill print anytime soon, as originally predicted, they still count for a growing, significant corner of the reading market.

Of course, that came from writers of e-books, :D. So I'm interested in finding out what you guys think about it?

Have you ever bought an e-book? Read more than one e-book lately? If so, do you prefer the PDF download on your PC, or do you have an e-book reader?

I hope this is the right section, BTW, to post this. If not, Bmat, please feel free to move accordingly. :) Sara
From worlds beyond imagination to the world of the past, discover the worlds of author Sara Reinke at www.sarareinke.com.
Sara
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Sun May 22, 2005 12:16 pm

I've never read any.

The closest I came was to look into buying one of those portable readers that you can use to download books, but they were expensive and didn't sound very comfortable. More compact than carrying a number of books on vacation, but the screen not as comfortable as looking at a page in a paper book. With a paper book, if I want to quickly go back and check something that I've read, it is very easy. I don't know how hard it would be on a reader- if you have to thumb back one page at a time or what.

As for downloading a book onto the computer, I don't think it would be very comfortable to sit at the computer to read a whole book.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Magus » Sun May 22, 2005 2:39 pm

I have never bought any, nor read any nor do I plan to in the future. There's just something about holding the book, feeling the pages and smelling the pages... it's just something so singularly unique about books that I don't have the desire to replace that with the cold sterility of a screen, the hum on the processors and the hard clicks of the mouse.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby eleika » Sun May 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Agreed with Magus. I highly doubt that books will ever go out of style, for this very reason.

Now e-news ... that's another story.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby who me » Mon May 23, 2005 8:19 am

well the closest I have come to reading a e-book is what we have in the speculative vision library,
I don't like reading off of a computer, your eyes get tired to fast.
you can not take the computer into the bath tub, I love to read in the tub,
if i get a paper back book wet it is no tragedy, you can dry the book, and it will not brake or anything.
I get most of my books from a used book store. so they don't cost to much. so if it gets lost it is bearable, and you don't need to worry about battery's.
I can see the advantage of e-book's but I'm not going to run out and get one there to expensive.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Ariel » Sun May 29, 2005 3:27 pm

I agree with all of the above.A real book is a treasure. :study:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis » Sun May 29, 2005 7:00 pm

I do like the feel of a real book, but I must confess to owning a few dozen e-books on my laptop! I like sitting back and reading it sometimes, much like a book! I've read only one e-book so far, but I intend to read "Beowulf" sometime soon.

By the way, does anyone here like audio books? I like them because I can draw or do other things while listening to it, and some voice actors are so good!
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sun May 29, 2005 7:24 pm

My dad has "Founding Brothers", an audio book about the Founding Fathers. It's actually quite good, I've listened to most of it, missing out only on what he heard in my absence.

Who Me, you may like to consider reading Lycoria on this site too. I find the plot to be pleasantly dark and linear, and the characters deep and realistic. It might be something you'd enjoy.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby who me » Mon May 30, 2005 4:07 am

OK. thank you for thinking of me.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon May 30, 2005 6:24 am

My pleasure. Besides, you seem to be the kind of person that would really enjoy it. Hopefully it'll be worth a gander.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Bmat » Mon May 30, 2005 6:39 am

Magus wrote:My dad has "Founding Brothers", an audio book about the Founding Fathers. It's actually quite good, I've listened to most of it, missing out only on what he heard in my absence.

8) I have the hardback book, Founding Brothers. 8) It is very interesting.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby who me » Mon May 30, 2005 7:11 am

I have been thinking that e-books are use full if you travel allot and don't want to devote a suitcase case to your books.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Other Reading