Magic?

Not sure if you're on the right track? Post anything from character descriptions, snippets of text, or even whole chapters to get some advice.

Moderator: Bmat

JGC137
New User
New User

Magic?

Post by JGC137 »

In a Vampire world, where they are basically hidden and/or rare, would you think magic would exist? And if so, y?
J.G.C. - 'love & hate, too close'

Qray

Re: Magic?

Post by Qray »

That's entirely up to you. It's your World, they're just livin' in it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I agree with Q. Vampires could be supernatural, or they could be another species, or they could be aliens, or they could be demons, etc. There could or could not be magic in your world no matter which of those options you choose for your vampires. That's what makes it your world :)

thegreentick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by thegreentick »

It all depends on how you define magic. It you're talking about throwing fireballs and calling down lightning, I would say that such should be left out of pure vampire stories. (If you decided to include vampires in more traditional fantasy, this could change.) If you're talking about supernatural powers, yes they should be included. I'm not much of a fan of the 'vampire virus'.
"God is looking for spiritual fruits, not religious nuts."

Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Grand Evander »

I really don't feel like I'm adding anything useful, but I agree with Qray and Master, it's your world and your conventions. You can have a world where only vampires can use magic or perhaps everyone can except vampires. Vampires typically feed off the life of others (eg sucking blood), but you can have them feed off the magical essence of others instead to survive. For example, maybe vampires have stronger magical capabilities than other races but because of that they burn up their essences a lot quicker and have to feed off those of others to survive. Maybe being a vampire is the result of magic. There's really no end to the possibilities. It's all a choice that you have the freedom to make.

Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Spiderkeg »

I'd ask for more information, but JGC137 has not responded in a year to this topic.

Instead I'll add, build a history for the creation and existence of this "vampire" race in your story. That would be priority one. Without a solid built foundation, you will not a defined idea of your limitations and expectations. Some people don't like this one aspect of story telling, but I believe a well established backstory is one of the most important components of a good story.

Any replies?