speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Antagonist Masquerade

Not sure if you're on the right track? Post anything from character descriptions, snippets of text, or even whole chapters to get some advice.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Antagonist Masquerade

Postby IngloriousBadWord » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:33 pm

I have a fantasy anime style story (including thoroughly illustrated) I'm writing about a balance of power in an elemental pantheon of gods. There is a group of marauding type of aristocrats. They fancy high fashion and some aspects of high culture even though they are brutal and nomadic with scarce bases of operation around the land, mostly as a hold for their trinkets and main objective, powerful weaponry gained through taboo methods in ancient times from stealing the souls of different creatures and elementals. Eventually they infiltrate the city the main character lives in at the begining of the story and try to take down the more organized sect that they split from which banished them from their lands and formed the government, technology and the city the charaters live in. They are called the masquerade because they enjoy the hedonistic lifestyle and most free time they have is devoted to partying (masquerades), fighting etc. Now I'm trying to decide what type of meaning I want to give to the masks. Whether they're worn in battle and the parties, the few meetings they have to decide actions of the group as a whole, or just constantly. They have a type of fatalistic philosophy of take what you can because someone might take it from you, including life itself. Now the masks may be a representation of their power, their rank, or a belief in meaningless identity (meaning is found in what you aquire). You might be able to tell I'm a little directionless here so just tell me what you think of the concept, if you have a suggestion about the masks or just questions about the story in general.
IngloriousBadWord
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Antagonist Masquerade

Postby Bmat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 am

I love your idea. For the masks, some main aspect of their characters, perhaps. Or from the regions that they came from. Or of the origins of their weapons.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Antagonist Masquerade

Postby IngloriousBadWord » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Hm I like that. Maybe they'll resemble the face of whatever type of elemental they used for their weaponry with designs or characters from their regions with small cuztomizations made such as ornamates, the expression, or sentimental scarring or damage done to it from a battle they relish the memory of? haha best of everything.
IngloriousBadWord
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Critique and Advice