do I need new way of writing?

Not sure if you're on the right track? Post anything from character descriptions, snippets of text, or even whole chapters to get some advice.

Moderator: Bmat

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

My point was simply that, in experimenting, why not try what has worked for others? It might just be what works for you.

Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Manji »

You should try taking a bit and thinking about it. Use logic. Aks yourself, "Where would the story go next?" Read some stories that are like yours, whether the stories are fiction or non-fiction doesn't matter.
If your MCs village is under attacked, what happens next? Does he run away and hide? Does he try to defend his home? Does he brave the attackers and try to reach his family?
What happens next? If he hides, does he run into a patrol later? Is he wounded or does he posses supernatural fighting skills? Does he find his family alive or dead?
Next? Does the patrol capture him and is he drafted into the army that killed his friends and family or does he kill the patrol? If he's wounded, how does he get treatment for his wounds? If all he makes it home and finds all of his family but his sister dea, does he take her and hide from the enemy or does he join the enemy caravan marching towards the capitol and tries to scrounge together enough scraps for him and his sister to survive?
You get the idea. Questions and logic are your friend while writing an outline.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Ah, this is true. Listen to Manji; he knows what he's talking about.

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by berry »

The general impression I am getting is that those of you that write an outline often don't look at it for a long while and continue writing in the 'off the top of the head' manner. What I don't get is what are the actual benefits of the outlines. Manji- you said that your story was much better but in what way did it help? and Magus you have said that the outline can be in your head or on paper but sometimes you don't look at it for ages.
Is the purpose simply to note your ideas so they are not forgotten or is there an aspect to writing the outline that actually improves the story for you?
And Havoc - don't worry I'll take advice but I don't think there's any danger of me copying writers methods to the extent that I would lose myself.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

The benefit I gain from outlines is a sense of direction. I know where the story goes and I know that my Main Character needs to be at a certain place at a certain time. It prevents me from meandering aimlessly and focus on the story. I write the outline from the top of my head, so it remains rather fresh and original (I hope).

And berry, make sure you don't lose yourself. I loathe writers that aimlessly revere an established author and try to do everything the same.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Manji »

I learned there's a greater satisfaction if you plan two connected events a hundred pages ahead rather than have everything kind of fall together over the course of a thousand pages.

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by berry »

Manji, I did just that, I planned two connected events and found that I could get from one to the other without the rambling in between. It did also help me decide what events I wanted to happen or explain along the way.
So thanks all, it has been very helpful, I'll get off the net and go continue my story.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Good luck. Be sure to tell us how it goes.

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by berry »

I have been an outlining maniac,, well lets be a little less geeky and say that the outline thing really helps and the more I do it the further into the story I get without getting bogged down in detail.
Magus if you want to see how I'm getting along I have posted a bit of my new story. Wouldn't mind a comment or two.
Berry
Groucho Marx

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I'm glad you're finding what is working for you! I truly know the frustrated feeling you were experiencing there... The only thing I'd suggest is just that you try to be sure not to become wedded to one way of doing things, because just as with most humans, when I have things happen in my life, it will cause writing 'hiccups' which will cause difficulties in writing, at least in writing the way I've been doing it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I'll see if I can take a look at it. I'm glad things seem to be going well with you.