speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Forum update and blog changes

Feedback and suggestions for Speculative Vision. This is also where we make site announcements.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Forum update and blog changes

Postby The Master » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

I"m trying to find a way to hide bots. They programmed that weird...they added them so we can restrict what they do (like not trying to run searches and stuff that hammers our server) but didn't make it easy to hide them.

Negative blog comments is a bug. During testing we added comments. When testing was over I deleted them, and the script counted that as being a negative comment. I don't know how to fix it yet.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

It is good to see that the previous posts when you go to reply are now easier to read, text was a bit small before...

I am just wondering, there is the image of a white squarish box next to each topic, now I know what the red 'n' means, and the green tick, and the lock, and the bomb, but what does the green dot mean, I don't get that one... :?: :?:
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby The Master » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:17 pm

A green dot means you posted in that topic.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Master » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:44 pm

NEW!

Lord of the Rings: Hobbiton
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Llew » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Master, would it be possible to put the Board Location/Navigation text on the bottom of the line, (the text just below the blue planet image) and the User Control Panel and blog links etc., on the top of it? (Switch them top for bottom, in other words.)

It just feels...unnatural the way they are, and seems more intuitive to have the forum navigation stuff closer to the forum, while above the dividing provides the perfect place for the other things buttons and links to the other parts of the site. (I think it was like that on the old forum, I forget already though. :P )

Also, is there some way to make the Child-boards stand out more? As-is, even though there aren't many of them, they blend in with the other text very well.

Just a couple of my thoughts on it, is all. I like the new forum setup.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Master, would it be possible to put the Board Location/Navigation text on the bottom of the line, (the text just below the blue planet image) and the User Control Panel and blog links etc., on the top of it? (Switch them top for bottom, in other words.)

I agree the "Board index/Navigation text" should be at the bottom, it would be much easier getting around, I keep having to scroll to the top...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:01 pm

Also could the log in and password be moved to the top, I have to scroll down...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby The Master » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I added a duplicate login panel to the top of the forum home page.

I made the subforum titles a little bolder...is that better?

It would be possible to swap the locations of the information along the top of the forum, but it will take a pretty fair amount of juggling to repair the CSS to make it display the same. On a scale of 1 to 10 how inconveniently annoying is it? :smt119

Note that the Jump To drop down is the primary nav tool for the bottom of every forum page. There is also a "return to..." quick link that takes you up a level. I will also see if I can adjust to the top of page arrow (bottom right of every post below the poster's info section) so it will jump all the way up to the nav bar instead of a little below it like it does now.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Llew » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:49 am

The Master wrote:I made the subforum titles a little bolder...is that better?

Much better, thanky. :)

The Master wrote:It would be possible to swap the locations of the information along the top of the forum, but it will take a pretty fair amount of juggling to repair the CSS to make it display the same. On a scale of 1 to 10 how inconveniently annoying is it? :smt119

Only about...3-4 I suppose, I'll get use to it eventually. If it would be such a big deal, don't bother.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Dark Knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:06 pm

The Master wrote:I added a duplicate login panel to the top of the forum home page.

thanks...

The Master wrote:It would be possible to swap the locations of the information along the top of the forum, but it will take a pretty fair amount of juggling to repair the CSS to make it display the same. On a scale of 1 to 10 how inconveniently annoying is it? :smt119

I found it really annoying 6-7, but that was before I knew about:

The Master wrote:I will also see if I can adjust to the top of page arrow (bottom right of every post below the poster's info section) so it will jump all the way up to the nav bar instead of a little below it like it does now.

A quick jump to the top, with a bit of a scroll, great, thanks for pointing that out, now it should not be annoying at all...don't bother
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I deleted one of my blog entries, but it is still there, but it says it has been delete at the bottom, what is up with that? If I delete something it should surely not still be there, is there a exterminate button or something? :? :twisted:

:smt066
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Qray » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:48 pm

A deleted blog entry will have the information "This blog entry was deleted by [Member's Name] on [Date the Member deleted the entry] Click here to un-delete this blog." near the bottom of the deleted entry. The entry and this information is no longer visible to anyone but the blog's owner and isn't counted on the Member's blog entry number. For all intents and purposes, the entry is deleted.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

PreviousNext

Return to Comments On Speculative Vision