speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

POLL: Speed of new forum

Feedback and suggestions for Speculative Vision. This is also where we make site announcements.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

How Fast are the New Forums?

Much slower, takes forever
10%
A little slower but its fine
10%
About the same/Can't see a difference
30%
A little faster
30%
Much faster, woohoo!
20%

Total votes : 10

POLL: Speed of new forum

Postby The Master » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Browse around a bit then please let me know how fast the new forums are compared to the old forums. If there are any particular parts that seem to run at a different speed please make a note of it. Thanks!
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Re: POLL: Speed of new forum

Postby Boikat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:30 pm

entering a topic seems faster, the only thing that seems to lag is when you scroll up or down a page with a lot of posts on them. It will zip along, pause for a fraction of a second, then zip along a bit, then pause, then zip....

All in all, I can live with that.

Added: Aslo, posting is a lot quicker!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:47 pm

I find the speed of the site much slower, but the new design does allow you to some things more quickly, such as posting and editing. And actually the site may allow those actions to work a bit quicker for my computer also. Other things however are slower for me, like loading a page, loading images, etc. However the emoticon page does load a lot faster and the smilies are faster/easier to use.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby The Master » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Dial up or high speed? Everything is really fast for me, but I have cable at home and DSL at work.

Also, what browser? I mostly use Firefox these days and that might be a factor because the design is very modern and CSS reliant.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Boikat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:10 pm

I have DSL and use IE7.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm

I have Ultra High-Speed, it's called, but I have Internet Explorerer and don't use Firefox.

I keep hearing about Firefox, and it seems like it is being forced down people's throats left and right -- use Firefox! More and more different softwares are designed to work mainly with Firefox. I have wanted to avoid downloading Firefox partly because I didn't want to do all the cross-referencing research, which I'd have to do before downloading anything onto my computer. But that's off-subject I guess. Before long I'll probably have no choice but to give in. (Not that I'm angry at Firefox, just don't want to worry about yet another software on my computer. :lol:)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby The Master » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 pm

I have slightly reduced the number of topics per page as well as the posts per page. Might help, can't hurt :)
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm

The speed is fine, if anything faster, sometimes much faster, but:

Yesterday and earlier today it seemed to freeze after it had said that the message had posted.

However it is fine now...

Neurolanis wrote:However the emoticon page does load a lot faster and the smilies are faster/easier to use.

yes it seems to load faster for me too...

I am on the slow old Dial up with the lastest IE {which ever number that is}
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby FantasyMan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:45 pm

The new setup is kind of surprising but I like it!
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Qray » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Running slower across the board.

One thing I've noticed is when the post Page loads, everything that loads out of cache is bang on quick, then the actual text box and all the formatting options above it takes a while.

The main Forums page and any other Forum page loads almost exactly twice as long as the previous version.

T1 pipe.

Opera 9.27, Build 8841.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby The Master » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm

The post icons do take a bit on first load. I expect lack of height and width attributes is a factor there meaning the browser has to download it before it knows how much space it takes up. Perhaps I can edit it to add those; I'll have to look at the script to see.

So I did some testing and thought I would share my results. What I did: I cleared my browser caches, then loaded the same sequence of topics (home page, General Writing Discussion, Are good writer's born or made?), scrolled the first page, hit reply, and then test smilies.

Opera 9: Opera tends to load very quickly. I have noted that it seems more likely to pause with a blank page while it gets the whole page then pops the whole thing into view. I suspect this is a result of its rendering logic and the encapsulating div tags that surround content. Once loaded pages scroll very smoothly and are rendered exactly as I expect them to. I have also noted that its cache seems to be very good. For example, after loading smilies once subsequent opening of the smilie window instantly renders every one of them. I give Opera a very high mark. If my Roboform (password manager) would just work with Opera I think I would use this browser a lot more often.

Internet Explorer 7: Text rendering is fast, with text filling in very quickly even while other elements load. Page loading is a little chunky...the header loads, the information/navigation area below that loads, the forum list loads, etc. Visually it is noticeable, but is it slower than Opera? Honestly, I'm talking about a fraction of a second a lot of the time. Enough to see it, but probably all together it’s no longer than Opera's momentary pause while it musters up the whole page. I notice an odd "stuttering effect" as long content pages are scrolled. I'm not sure what to make of that exactly, but it seems that IE7 has a little trouble with larger amounts of text, possibly because of them being in various div containers and related to that chunky-loading syndrome I noted. I tried the smilie window to test the cache as I did with Opera. Smilies load one by one even after caching...they load much faster, but they still fill in the page one at a time. Rendering accuracy is as expected.

Internet Explorer 6: I have this on my laptop still due to a limitation with a program I have to use for work, so I have the benefit of comparing it. Loading speed is comparable to IE7. In fact, while there is still a chunky feeling to the loading I don't notice that stuttering effect when scrolling. However, there are several rendering inaccuracy’s including a significant failure to correctly cascade some styles and in applying backgrounds. The position of some elements shifts noticeably. Nothing is so broken that it fails to work, but I wouldn't recommend IE6 as a browser. Smilie window test performance is identical to IE7...even when loading from cache smilies fill in one by one.

Firefox 2: Forum pages render very fast. There is a very slight chunkiness in that the top header area tends to load then a fraction of a second later the rest of the page loads in a sweep. My guess is that waiting for the ad server to respond is a factor, probably for all the browsers. There is no stuttering or hesitation while scrolling. Rendering accuracy is excellent and as expected. Like Opera the cache seems to be very good. Using the smilie window test Firefox behaves very close to Opera, popping a completely populated window instead of reloading each smilie individually like IE does. There is the slightest of hesitations when the window first opens, so I would give the smallest of edges to Opera for cache performance.

CONCLUSIONS:
I have cable broadband and in all cases pages load quite fast for me...within a few seconds usually. Therefore, in my case none of the differences are particularly concerning with the exception of the obviously outdated IE6's rendering errors. Firefox and Opera demonstrated a noticeably better caching system, which becomes more important if you have a slower connection. IE7 has that very odd stuttering effect while scrolling. Inasmuch as none of the other browsers, not even IE6, did that I have to assume it is a quirk of that browser version that can't be adjusted for in the page coding. Because rendering accuracy was otherwise similar I would give Firefox and Opera a tie as best browser choice for this site. IE7 is close behind and certainly does a perfectly adequate job. Unless you are forced to keep it like I am on my laptop I would get rid of IE6 as soon as possible!
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby who me » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm

the "post a reply " window opens slower than the old one did.

the pictures are on the rong side they have to be on the left, other wise it is hard to tell who is talking.

the log in and pass word should be at the top of the page, scrollong all the way down to log in is a pain.

why is the spellcheck not working?

what is the name of the big blue gas planet? is this planet populated by :alien: ?
if it is are they frendly?
is there a resturant? can we bring our towel? what is on the menue?
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Next

Return to Comments On Speculative Vision