speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

POLL: Speed of new forum

Feedback and suggestions for Speculative Vision. This is also where we make site announcements.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

How Fast are the New Forums?

Much slower, takes forever
10%
A little slower but its fine
10%
About the same/Can't see a difference
30%
A little faster
30%
Much faster, woohoo!
20%

Total votes : 10

Re: POLL: Speed of new forum

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:46 pm

who me wrote: the "post a reply " window opens slower than the old one did.

Probably due to there being more things to load, as we now have more options...

for me it works about at the same speed as before if not abit faster...

who me wrote:the pictures are on the rong side they have to be on the left, other wise it is hard to tell who is talking.

I am get use to it being on that side, I don't have a problem with it, and the Master has said he likes it better on that side. they decide to put on the right instead of the left, this time.

Master wrote:For some reason they moved the poster stuff to the right hand side for the new, CSS based/modern XHTML forum template...I'm not sure why. Interestly though, since we read left to right it actually places first focus on the content of what you say instead of who said it (so maybe that's why? ). It is possible for me to hack the files and change it, but after a little bit you get used to it and I actually now like it better.

who me wrote:the log in and pass word should be at the top of the page, scrollong all the way down to log in is a pain.

Yes it should be at the top

who me wrote:why is the spellcheck not working?

spellingcow are the ones who provide it, have to wait for them to fix their service
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby who me » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 am

what about the blue planet?

do you know were your towel is?
:alien: :alien: :alien:
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:52 pm

who me wrote:what about the blue planet?

do you know were your towel is?
:alien: :alien: :alien:

No idea about the planet...

As for my towel, no but I have an idea, I am sure I could find it in a minute...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby The Master » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:42 pm

As a follow up to my prior post I thought I would test out the new kid on the block that everyone's talking about: Google Chrome.

I haven't tested the browser enough to give a lot of general opinion, but I can comment on the forum loading tests, and that comment is "WOW". Chrome renders the forums lickity split. Rendering accuracy is excellent/CSS compliant. No scrolling hesitation again confirms that as a fluke of IE7. Cache performance is outstanding, sharing the same instant recall performance on the smilie window that Firefox and Opera demonstrated.

I reserve further comment on Chrome because I haven't used it enough to know if I will run into problems yet. Be that as it may, Chrome users should have a good experience with SV forum performance :)
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby who me » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Chrome is suposed to be very good,
but why the name chorme does this have some thing to do with the book Burning Chrome?
does google have a secret super computer in orbit?

on a serious note Privacy advocates and civil liberties organisation are concerned with the growing influence of goolge.
and if the information for google serch, and google chorme will be collected and or potenchaly sold.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby waytanblee » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:00 am

It works pretty zippy for me on firefox

Neurolanis wrote:I have Ultra High-Speed, it's called, but I have Internet Explorerer and don't use Firefox.

I keep hearing about Firefox, and it seems like it is being forced down people's throats left and right -- use Firefox! More and more different softwares are designed to work mainly with Firefox. I have wanted to avoid downloading Firefox partly because I didn't want to do all the cross-referencing research, which I'd have to do before downloading anything onto my computer. But that's off-subject I guess. Before long I'll probably have no choice but to give in. (Not that I'm angry at Firefox, just don't want to worry about yet another software on my computer. :lol:)

It's more likely to be apple's safari of google's chrome that's being shoved down peoples throats. Although firefox does command %20 of the market.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Bmat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:50 am

I use Firefox some of the time because Symantec is discontinuing it's adblock service. Firefox does have an adblock addon that seems to work well, although I find it also keeps flash games from loading, which means I have to go back to IE to play those.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Previous

Return to Comments On Speculative Vision