Here's a thought...

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

MainComputer
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Here's a thought...

Post by MainComputer »

If a Jupiter Brain ever took control of our existences, why wouldn't it be benevolent, and why is it nearly always portrayed as a malevolent force in SF?
---------------------------------
Be brave - hurt me.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Perhaps such items or forces are portrayed as malevolent because it makes for a better story. To have a common foe to fight against, to have previous adversaries have to start working together- this is a good storyline.

If it is a benevolent being or item, then is there a story? To answer my own question, there could be a story- that of people enjoying the benevolence and not realizing that they are giving up their freedom or their drive to evolution, perhaps. There could be a discussion on whether the move forward is desirable or inherent in being human.

But as far as engaging the attention of the general public, a good bug-eyed-monster flick, or an insidious evil, that scares people and causes them to seek solutions, this is what will sell.

What do you think?

MainComputer
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Nail on the head...

Post by MainComputer »

...it sells. Yes.

The malevolence is always so flimsy and without motivation however, and is always limited by our own biological motivations imposed on a non-biological entity.

There can be a story here I believe, with a benevolent force that is. Several stories. How would the entity attain dominance if humans resisted it, which they most likely would. In this, the humans would be the "bug-eyed monster". Or, could dominance be achieved subvertly?

An exploration of how the force could preserve humanities drive for evolution might be interesting, or maybe, after many attempts, the force might simply give up on humanity and disable itself - "you lot are doomed - I'm off." Tragedy? Lol.
---------------------------------
Be brave - hurt me.