Our Earth:With Saturn Like Rings

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Oh, well sorry to have crushed your childhood dreams. Oh, wait! No I'm not! *grins*

One thing about dreams is that there are usually ways, often unforeseen, by which they may be made to be accomplished. It's simply a matter of putting enough effort into it.

Now, as I was saying about building a ring around the Earth, it could make a very, very huge impact on the future of the Earth as it involves the rest of the Solar System. The reason I say that is because it is at a place like that where you could design and build an interplanetary ship that could be used quite a few times to transfer people and goods to and from other planets, making it much more viable to finally try colonizing another planet. On top of that, it would make it a lot easier to finally design and build a craft that could travel between solar systems (thus getting us to other stars!!). Can you say, "HUUUUGE!" I knew you could!

Therefore, if you're so interested in it, get your study on and start working to get whatever you think would be necessary to get the funding for such a project going. It will obviously require at least one government's support, though I'd think international help would make it happen much more fully in a quicker fashion. We aren't in the 50's - 80's, when the Soviets and the Western world were constantly pushing each other in trying to out-do their enemies. We don't have much like that now here on the Earth, so you'll need to come up with something much more emphatic to catch the attention you'll likely need for it.

So get to work!!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by SpookyKatie »

*Dream Wrecker*
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

So, then encouraging people to actually try to make their dreams a reality is 'Wrecking' dreams, is it?? *shrugs* whatever....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by SpookyKatie »

like you said!
just like myn you want to see a home in space is just about the same as my wanting to see a second moon that is purple.
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!

Poisonbabyfood
New User
New User

Post by Poisonbabyfood »

Article in space.com about the possibility that Earth once had rings:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/p ... 20917.html

Rather than imagining the possibility of an Earth with rings, what about an Earth with Europa? You've got a giant moon out there orbiting Jupiter, with more water than all of the Earth's ocean's combined, not doing much of anything except freezing.

What if, in a far, far distant future where we're sufficently technologically advanced to actually move planets, we were to rectify this problem by dragging Europa into Earth orbit, where it could get plenty of sunlight? Melt the ice, and we've got an inexhaustable supply of water. Water means hydrogen. Hydrogen means power for a giant floating base on Europa.

Maybe it wouldn't be as purty as some rings, but it opens up a lot more possibilities.
It is quite true that the clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.