Spaceflight

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Spaceflight

Post by Alaskamatt17 »

So, when do you all think we'll get to Mars? And after that how long do you think it'll be 'til we can leave the solar system?

Personally, I'm hoping it's soon. Within the next fifty years, perhaps. I'd sure like to be able to see Earth from space before I die.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Oh, I'm certain -- unless we suffer a mass global monetray crisis -- that we'll reach Mars in the next fifty years. That is, humans will walk on its surface. I'd love to see a space ship leave the solar system in my lifetime. I'd love to know what Pluto looks like!

Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Alaskamatt17 »

We better have a spaceship leaving the solar system by the end of the century. If I'm still alive then (highly unlikely, but still possible), I'll act so crotchety about it if they don't that NASA and the EU Space Agency will get together and launch a mission just to shut me up.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Bush wants to land on Mars by 2030. I think he's full of it, but I kept the newspaper articles just in case they do succeed. Even if they don't, it would be interesting to see how far off they were on their estimates.
Speaking of space travel, has anyone else started to doubt that NASA actually put men on the moon. I mean now that I really look at the facts, it is kind of far fetched. But, there is only one way to find out for sure. Back to moon!
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

drzeuss
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by drzeuss »

I think that it won't be long before Japan and China are both real contenders in the space game. The US won't want to lose face and have the Chinese beat them (back) to the moon so they will ramp up their space program as their opponents build theirs. I don't doubt that we will be back to the moon in the next 20 years, I just don't know which nation will do it.

The problem is the current technology; to get to Mars we need a stable launch platform on the moon, to get the moon we need a functioning space station, to get a space station we need to get into orbit, and to get into orbit we need a functional and trustworthy ship. Right now we are stagnated on even getting out of the atmosphere with the 1960s technology that NASA is using. I think we need to develop a new method of getting to the ISS and this will propel us forward through the galaxy

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Down with the Space Shuttles. Up with... whatever comes next. To the moon!!! And on to Mars!!!!
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

A very good question Alaskamatt17 has set! What importance is there in defining the time?

I wonder how drzeuss means_real_ contenders.

Alaskamatt17 also spoke of NASA and EUSA. Hm *s* I do not know if you are aware of the recent NASA launches. Baiconur, no?

Why? *weird smile* NASA rockets choked up, as they say?

Anyway, not only NASA and EUSA play in the game, do they?

How do you mean a new method for reaching the ISS (International Space Station), drzeuss? Why do we need that? Not the moon as launch base, btw?

"...I don't doubt that we will be back to the moon in the next 20 years..." Well! 1940 - 1960s, 20years it took man to make the first rocket till he reached the moon. 20 years again _ n o w_??? What's happenin'?
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --

Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Alaskamatt17 »

Optimists are saying we'll reach Mars within twenty years.

Pessimists are saying we'll never even reach the moon again, because we'll all kill each other before then.

I think the optimists sound more logical.
-Albert Einstein

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

We're not going to kill ourselves off. We are way to smart for that. Sometime in the near future, though, we are going to have to start drawing on the resources of other worlds to sustain our own. I mean, what if we moved all of the pollutant producing industris to Mars. The smog here would clear up and environment would restore itself eventually.

Just think of the possibilities that lie on other worlds... and the even greater possibilities that lie there if you get to the planet first

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

We'll get to Mars just as soon as my sister graduates from Purdue and starts designing the space shuttles.

:P

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yes of course we will :roll:

Well get there whenever it becomes more important to go than not to go

wafricansavage
Just Registered
Just Registered

space flight

Post by wafricansavage »

To look at this objectively, I think that the space program will continue to stagnate until something of value is discovered. As in most matters, it all boils down to return on investment for those who are putting up the money.

The greater the rewards are for spaceflight, the faster you will see the space program become private and innovation increase.

Personally I think the discovery of some new element with advantages over those found on earth will be the primary cause for extensive and massive space travel.

As to bush, that is just media hype as far as I am concerned. Make a promisse to deliver something in a time when you will no longer be held accountable, how responsible. :roll: