Spaceflight

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Yeah, but how can he do otherwise?? I mean, there's a good probability that they could get a person on Mars before then, but that'd require money, etc., that he can't get from Congress for it. What WAS says is correct, IMO. Back in the days of the Cold War, it was a competition betwixt the Sovs and the Americans to get into space first (Sov's won) and to get onto the moon first (Americans won). It was very much a pride thing, but was also something done to try to get an advantage (if possible) over the other country by getting a leg up militarily by trying to get something set up that would potentially make it possible to beat the other country in "one shot" (ie to get nukes above the other country in bombs that could be dropped right on the other country, without much worry about the bombs being shot down (like what could happen with planes and/or missiles). Well, you get the idea, I hope.

Today, it'd require a potential economic reason/excuse. The idiots who say "we'll solve the overcrowding problem by moving to other planets" need to realize that if we have trouble getting a few people launched at a time, then what would happen if we tried to launch the numbers needed to get the quantities needed to beat the numbers born each minute?? That could NOT work as a reason that would fly, so to speak.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

There was a programme on BBC television a few months back about the possibility of 'terraforming' mars, and how difficult/easy it would be, anyway the upshot was, we virtually have the Technology to do it now, it would take roughly a century to do, but the cost prohibits it.

The basics were along the lines of starting by setting up greenhouse gas producing stations which are used to warm the planet... global warming and all that malarky(sp?)... this melts any ice on/under the surface, then dump some oxygen producing organisms for a few years, followed by some plants/insects, yada, yada yada, hey presto 100 years later an inhabitable planet !

of course there's that whole gravity difference issue !
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

Heh. So not only will we dominate and destroy our own planet, but we'll subject another to our damage as well? Bloody perfect.

The problem with human society at the moment - one of them, at least - is that there's this all-consuming 'knowledge' that the Earth is ours; that we own it, that we are meant to be it's conquerors. We talk about 'taming' land that would be unmanageable, we consume resources with not a thought to the consequences, we're poised on the brink of destruction, and yet, we still wish to continuate a system of life that is, at a base nature, flawed.

>.<

The alternate history I offer in the Redemption storyline is a best case scenario. We should be so lucky as to get a clean slate, a chance to start anew. If we don't curb this idea of our own God-given right to dominate, then we'll be killing every other planet we travel to. Plague, anyone?

---

Scientifically, relativity offers a problem - Even in orbit of our own planet, time moves a fraction of a second slower than it does on the surface, enough so that it has to be accounted for in satellite programing. Any large-scale foray into space, especially away from major gravity wells, will create major issues with communication. The difference in relay speeds will guarantee that, effectively, the people on the mission will be on their own.

---

As to Aldan's comment about overpopulation, there is a simple way to fix that problem - Stop feeding the poor. Stop sending aid to the third world. Hell, stop overproducing here in America. Don't get me wrong - I've been poor. I've had to scrounge in fountains to get enough money to eat dinner. I'm not some upper-class snob saying 'let them eat cake.' The simple truth is, however, that animals are not meant to outstrip their food supply. In nature, whenever food is insufficient to support the population, enough of the population dies off that there is enough for everyone. Human compassion is the only problem in our population.

>.< Thanks all for listening to my rant.
What makes loneliness an anguish is not that I have no one to share my burden, but this: I have only my own burden to bear.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I suppose you believe in the theory of evolution then, Cry'Havoc? It may or may not surprise you to know that there are some of us who do not regard humans beings as animals or even a creature that evolved from an animal. There are those of us who believe that the earth is here for us to do as we please with it and everything on it.

The earth is where we were born, but it is not where we will live. The earth will have to be abandonned one day and we will find ourselves out amognst the stars. Eventually we'll create the necessary technology to recycle everything (or almost everything) we use. That way we will no longer waste as we grow, but that will come long after the earth is gone
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

My view on evolution has very little to do with this - I am a christian, and as such, I do take into account the story of Genesis.

It sets us up to be the guardians of the earth - The keepers of the garden. If we are the rulers, it is our duty as caretakers to keep it not only limping along, as it is now, but to keep it thriving. We care for God's creation. We can't allow our own, inborn flaws of arrogance and pride - Sins in the bible, might I add - to ruin it.
What makes loneliness an anguish is not that I have no one to share my burden, but this: I have only my own burden to bear.

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

Heh. Fair warning; I am strongly opinionated on a lot of things. You seem really cool thus far, and I don't mean any flak to you personally by stating my own opinions on things.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

No problem, but I warn you that I am as well. And this is one that I am adament about.

Earth is a name given to the kingdom that god created. Does that just mean the planet earth? I don't think it does. I think it refers to the whole universe. One planet is nothing and can be wasted as if it is nothing. There will be more
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

That brings up another good point - The Earth, in whole, in part, or as a metaphor for all of creation, does NOT belong to humanity - It belongs to God.

This is one that I'm likewise adamant about. The idea that we are the top of the food chain, the idea that we are the Conquerors of all, is what I see as the root cause of the Human defilement of God's garden.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

He gave us dominion over this place... essentially, that means that we govern it within his laws... the Ten Commandments. With these in mind, we are the Lords of all we survey

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

Christ also said for us to be as the sparrow; It has no need to hoard up food for tragedy; It lives with peace, inner and outer. What happened to that part?

Furthermore, we don't live within the laws laid forth on the bible. Have you ever eaten meat on a Friday? Worn a cotton/polyester blend as a shirt? Do you observe passover? Have you ever dishonored your father or mother?

Cry'Havoc
New User
New User

Post by Cry'Havoc »

>.<

These are both well-founded belief structures, founded upon a lifetime of study and influence. We're both mules in this regard, aren't we?

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Not me. These are my personal beliefs. No one told me them, but I did the research into the issue and came to my conclusions. I continue to do further research into these issues.

Now of course we don't govern the universe within the laws of the Lord, he gave us the free will not to do so if we didn't feel like it. We were given free will to choose as our greatest gift (or... one of them at least).