What science fiction "breakthrough" would impact t

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

Asp
New User
New User

What science fiction "breakthrough" would impact t

Post by Asp »

Thinking about the various technologies and/or realities of science fiction, which one do you think would have the most impact on our society if it were discovered tomorrow? How would it transform society and the Earth? I can see this as a two sided question as well, what breakthrough would have the most positive impact and what would have the most negative impact?

I myself think the most positive benefit would be derived from abundant alternative energy. I'm thinking of something like the energy generated by the bubbles in Varley's Red Thunder or something of that nature. The positives it would provide would be allowing us to eliminate the current energy sources which pollute and scar our Earth. It would also allow us to deliver energy to communities which need more energy to be able to feed their people, provide them with water and provide them with shelter.

The biggest negative affect would come from the perfection of mind control. The resulting war of ideologies and control of populations would likely result in mass destruction and chaos. I can't see anyone "winning" in such a world.

I look forward to hearing what others think.

Tony

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

An abundant source of energy such as... zero point energy ?
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Asp
New User
New User

Thanks for the introduction

Post by Asp »

I hadn't heard of zero point energy before, but reading the Calphysics site it sounds like it would fit the bill if it actually can be harnessed.

In order to be truely revolutionary and maximize the impast of the development, I'd expect it to be something that is relatively easy to harness without requiring a large central infrastructure. I would imagine that the energy devices would be able to provide power to a small village or several of them (or a larger version) could supply them to cities which already have a power distribution infrastructure.

Tony