speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

UFO's???

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

UFO's???

Postby Chuffy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:53 am

After participating in the discussion on time travel I thought I would seek peoples opinion on UFO's.
It must be close to 100 years now since people apparently started seeing, photographing and reporting UFO sightings. Yet in all this time we still have no firm proof of their existence. I personally find it very hard to believe in them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we are the only inhabited planet in all of space. When you think that you could take all of our universe and scale it down to the size of a pin head, and yet still it would be surrounded by infinite space filled with infinite galaxies, then it makes it difficult to suppose that we are the only ones here.
No, it's not the existence of other beings that I doubt, it's just whether or not they have visited us that I question. I try thinking of it the other way around. If we had the capability of traveling vast distances to other worlds, then when we got there we discovered they were less advanced than us, would we spend 100 years just zipping to and fro in their air space every now and then. I think not. I think we would land in their equivalent of Central Park and announce ourselves. Yet some people obviously believe that aliens have been stealthily creeping around our skies for that long. Perhaps they're vastly intelligent but extremely shy & timid.
There's also the distance factor to consider. Our nearest stellar system is Alpha Centauri. It's 4.35 light years away. So if you lived in that system and could travel at the speed of light, it would take you 4.35 years just to get here. And for what? To shadow a Cessna across the Pacific then head home again. "See you guys, just popping over to Earth. Be back in 9 years, provided my lightdrive doesn't play up."
On top of that, we're pretty sure there's no advance life in that system anyway, so the surreptitious aliens would have to have come from much further away than 4.35 ly. Way too far for a joy ride.
So these are my thoughts on the existence of UFO's in our skies. I'm anxious to hear yours.
Chuffy
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:36 am

There are far too many credible witnesses to rule this out, including police officers, airoplane pilots, and astronauts. You can look up things like the disclosure project for stimulating conversation. Anyone doing serious research on the subject knows that it involves a lot of time and patience weeding through hoaxes, theories, and cover-ups.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Arcadia » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:34 am

I am very skeptical. I agree with Chuffy that the behaviors reported don't seem realistic. Although I don't think we'd park in Central Park and announce ourselves. I think we'd try to fit in if we could and watch and record. I guess kind of like that Star Trek TNG episode where there was an observing station, the one that the protective shield faultered and revealed itself to the inhabitants.
Arcadia
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Chuffy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Ariel wrote:There are far too many credible witnesses to rule this out, including police officers, airoplane pilots, and astronauts.

I just can't believe in all this time no one has managed to get a single decent photo or bit of footage that wasn't jumping all over the place to prove their existence.
Chuffy
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm not here to prove or disprove their existance, merely stating what I feel. One has to research for themselves and come to their own conclusions. There is a wealth of information, but you need a lot of time and patience to do the research.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:49 pm

Where's RyanAE when you need him? :lol:

Well, this is a huge topic of conversation, Chuffy. And with little knowledge of the actual evidence, you would have to be insane to believe in this stuff. But if your mind is open enough, you might consider, for which ever reason, to look into it. And when you do, you uncover a confusing wealth of *beep*, evidence, proof, highly respectible witnesses, and 'disinformation' gallore.

If you would like to research for yourself I'd advise you to read through some pages of Paranormal yourself, where RyanAE explained some of this stuff to Ariel and I. Unfortionately, he is away and may not be coming back, and therefore cannot answer your questions. But I strongly recommend that you take the time to read what he had to say. What's so special about him, by the way? He knows his stuff.

You be the judge:

http://www.speculativevision.com/forums ... ght=#40928
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Chuffy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Ok, give me time and I;ll read up some more. I'm quite perpared to be convinced the other way if the evidence is compelling enough.
Chuffy
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:25 pm

Ok, cool. There's a lot to study, though.

That's a vital link, Ariel! 8)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:39 pm

My opinion isn't based on any kind of fact, just pure belief. I cannot fathom that in the whole huge universe that Earth is the only class M planet capable of supporting life, especially sentient life.

As humans, we have begun to scratch the surface of space exploration. Our sun is a few billion years old, and there are many other galaxies far older than the Milky Way. Granted, this is a lot of speculation, but you can't deny the astronomical odds involved in believing the humans are more advanced than any other lifeform available in the entire universe.

I suppose I have to say that my belief is structured on the high probability that we are not alone. If we are not alone, then the probability can be extended to the idea that these lifeforms have transportation too.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Ah, but the question then is whether or not those beings from other GALAXIES have bothered to LEAVE their own galaxy. Is supra-light-speed travel possible? If not, then even if they had left their galaxy millenia ago, they would likely not have reached our Milky Way yet.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dragonfleet » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Heh, I can just imagine Aliens putting up a little sign near Earth saying "Beware: Planet not worth seeing, turn back while you still can" :twisted:
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Next

Return to Speculation