speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

UFO's???

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby NeoScribe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 pm

You read the Area 51 series, didn't you?
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Ariel » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:56 pm

I didn't. Did you Neoscribe?
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:24 pm

Never heard of it. There are those who follow these rumours and reports and base shows on it. Like Chris Carter (the X-Files), and some experts claim that Stephen Spielberg displays an interest in it by some of his films, but not much as far as I can see in his case...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby NeoScribe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:47 pm

Yeah, I read series. I even bought all the books but I wish i hadn't. The first two were good but after book three it all plummeted. Ever get the feeling an author is just trying to hard? And all the main characters had - uh, what's it called when a character can go through all sorts of dangerous events and come out unscratched - while minor characters were put in for the sole pupose of being cannon fodder. I cant think of any who lived after four paragraphs when confronting the aliens. And then he triead to solve all of Earthys mysteries as if aliens were responsible for them and almost all major history. The coolest part had nothing to do with the main characters at all but the WWIII battles that took place between Alien-backed China and North Korea invading American-backed South Korea and Tawain while the Americans were also fighting a second alien threat that had taken over two carrier fleets and part of Hawaii - and it all ended in half a book.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:56 pm

I read one of them but that was enough for me. I believe it was the first one but it has been so long since I even looked at it. It had something to do with Easter Island I believe.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby NeoScribe » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:49 pm

Yeah, Easter Island is always there. The writer gave a bogus excuse for that one too. But I was really suprised when alien 1 took over half the American Pacific Fleet.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Ariel » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:48 pm

:shock:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby NeoScribe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 pm

My sentiments exactly. They even had the gall to take that sunken ship in Pearl Harbor - Arizona, or Nevada, I think - with them to attack the last carrier fleet that escaped from Hawaii. Backfired on them when the crew was released from robotic control though.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby DaleyPaley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:28 am

When I was in my teens, I was a huge believer in UFOs. I love all the von Daniken books and Edgar Casey and all that. But now I am older, wiser and far more educated.
I would say that it is highly probably that life exists in many places in the universe. I would also say that a small fraction of it has achieved multicellularity. I would even go so far as to entertain the notion that a few of those have developed complex, intelligent creatures. Dare I say that a small fraction of them might have attained sentince. No. Yes. Maybe.
But I can tell you right now that there is no way in hell that aliens will look as humanoid as the greys or lizard men or klingons.
If an bug-eyed grey came down and probed me tomorrow, I would change my tune. Indeed, having an open mind is what science is all about. But the aliens depicted by the media are way too implausible for me. No chance mate!
Mistaken identities, experimental craft, mental problems, hoaxes, attention seeking, balloons, they are all much much more credible to me.
DaleyPaley
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Boikat » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:49 pm

I tend to agree. Back in the mid 80's through the mid 90's, my main hobby was astronomy, and after hudreds, probably thousands of hours under the stars, I saw nothing that didn't have a rational explaination.

On the other hand, I agree with Carl Sagan from "Contact"; "If we are alone in the universe, it's an awful big waste of space." (or something like that)
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby aldan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:12 am

Yeah, if you look at things logically, there's a lot of area out there that, percentage-wise, is likely to have something/one else in it. That being said, though, the percentage is low for any one small area, so it could be that there's nobody else within a thousand light years... *shrug* This planet just needs to get up off its collective arse and start working on ways to not only be able to travel more quickly betwixt the stars but also to be able to more efficiently use what is out there so that we don't strip our planet until its a husk.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Previous

Return to Speculation