Future Drugs

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

MainComputer
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Future Drugs

Post by MainComputer »

I've been thinking through the entertaining possibilities of a high-tech chemical future. What might the possibilities or recreational and quality of life drugs be in a Utopian (or Dystopian) future.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Here's one for the pot:

Double-Delicious:
Makes everything you're eating taste like your favourite food, allowing the consumption of otherwise distasteful but non-harmfull foodstuffs, such as alien fare.
---------------------------------
Be brave - hurt me.

NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by NeoScribe »

A pill for the common cold - that actually works.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.

Qray

Post by Qray »

I've used this one myself in a couple stories...

Spice, a powered drug that when inhaled allows you to control your dreams in vivid reality. Dreaming whatever you want and it seems completely real to you. The drug is named for it's heady spicy aroma.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Would nanotech count as a drug? If so, an auto-repair bot or bots that can swarm through the body making repairs on the cellular level, including correcting mutations within pre-cancerous cells. It would also be nice if they could slow or halt the aging process.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Poisonbabyfood
New User
New User

Post by Poisonbabyfood »

Nanotechnology could also have some recreational uses, commanding the body to release adrenaline, dopamine or seratonin. Really, all MDMA does is cause massive amounts of seratonin to be released at once.

Lots of drugs are naturally present in our bodies, but they're only released when necessary. Adrenaline allows us to think more clearly in stressful situations or push our bodies harder to escape when the flight reflex kicks in. Dopamine is a pain killer. It's why when we break a bone we often don't feel it a few minutes after the injury, though it wears off quickly. Seratonin makes us happy. A deficiency causes depression, and Paxil corrects that deficiency.

So yeah, nanobots could have recreational uses, getting us high on the drugs our bodies produce naturally.
It is quite true that the clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

Mind Enhancers

Give you excellent mind powers. I would love to pick up an X wing with my mind. :D
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

Chipchinka
New User
New User

Post by Chipchinka »

I created a drug for a rather dystopian story written quite a while ago and it featured a drug with the street name "Flashback." It was essentially a cognitive enhancer (used by cops) with an unexpected side effect. It boosted synaptic bud production and anyone taking the drug could then go out, have an experience (usually sex related--yeah, it was that kind of story) and then be able to recall the most minute details of that experience at any point in the future, for the rest of their lives.

Flashback slammers, people addicted to this drug would often go out, do pretty extreme things, then essentially wind up in self induced comas, constantly reliving pleasures rather than seeking them an accepting them as they came naturally.
Do your quiet answers creep among the stars?

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

:shock:

Chipchinka
New User
New User

Post by Chipchinka »

Yeah, Ariel...that was the reaction quite a few peolpe gave that story. That MIGHT explain why I've refrained from submitting it.
Do your quiet answers creep among the stars?

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

:lol:

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

I personally think I would enjoy it. :)
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

It does sound like it would be pretty interesting.