speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Contact

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:44 pm

I would say if they where huminoid they could.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby NeoScribe » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Good point, Talon Sinnah. Now the tension can proceed as planed. :twisted:
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Are they playing tug-a-war.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby NeoScribe » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:43 pm

More like Cold War (except some nations who are on the aliens side).
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby DaleyPaley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:56 am

If we ever do make contact with an alien race they will definitely not be humanoid. There may be some similarities, for example being bilaterally symmetric and having some sort of eye(s) but they would be more unlike us than the majority of species on earth. I for one would be fascinated at meeting an alien race, and particularly in learning about their evolutionary history.
Also, communication is going to be a real *beep*. I live in Japan and haven't had an easy time picking up the language or local mentality. And this is all from other humans. Just think about all the common ground I already have with Japanese people. The same needs, drives, lifespan, senses, brain and body configurations. We take it for granted that we will be able to communicate easily when we watch too much Star Trek or Babylon5, but in reality it is going to be extremely hard.
Have you ever tried talking to an octopus? It's frustrating!
DaleyPaley
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:54 am

Welcome to Speculative Vision, DaleyPaley!

A book I read a while ago... Perhaps Stone God Awakens...had beings with three legs, and another had beings with three arms. So there are conjectures from writers about non-bipedal beings. A line I remember from the book that included the beings with three legs was when they noticed the two-legged human and asked "How do you balance on those things?" :)

Another one- Mission of Gravity (sorry- really bad with remembering names) had beings that I visualized as looking like bedbugs- flat. I can't remember how many limbs they had, but I don't remember visualizing them with two arms and two legs.

So a question that your post raises for me is would sentient, space traveling beings from other worlds necessarily have two legs and two arms? And what about fingers?

I agree about understanding beings who come from completely different environments and genetic makeups. Cherryh's Foreigner series deals with this to a small degree. Her Atevi are humanoid but are still different in motivations, in drives and abilities.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Previous

Return to Speculation