speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Contact

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Contact

Postby HulloKitty202 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:59 pm

What if Earth was, or managed to contact another civilization?

What would you think?
"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present"
-Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes"
HulloKitty202
New User
New User

Postby Mikira » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:03 pm

I'd love it...it would confirm my belief that I'm from another planet. (Oh did I say that out loud?)
God doesn't make mistakes.
Mikira
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:16 am

Psssst...this Earth is strange isn't it?
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Darukin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:58 am

I'd love it...it would confirm my belief that I'm from another planet. (Oh did I say that out loud?)

Lol :lol:

What if Earth was, or managed to contact another civilization?

To contact another civilization would be an outbreak I guess. It's tough to speculate, because if it did happen many different situations or complications could branch out. It could either mean chaos, depending on what type of race we contact, or it could even mean benefit to humanity you never know. Our horizons will certainly broaden in any case, and there'll be something new to excite and enliven our (bored) human-likes :P. If we can communicate, even the better, maybe we could trade with them or something, maybe they can introduce things to us and vice versa. Maybe....... bla-blah Endless possibilities. And if Earth was another civilization, well we can all be considered aliens in the end.
Everything is strange depending on which perspective you see it from.
Darukin
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby aldan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:23 pm

Speaking of chaos, could you imagine how the various religions would react to something like that? You would get denial from many of them, and some would deny it even if the new race (aliens?) were to land in their backyard. Some would declare war on them, saying that they were infidels or of the devil or what have you. Still others would think it was Armageddon time and would go hide wherever they think would be safest, such as in old mines, homemade bomb shelters, and whatnot. Some races would disintegrate, plus many people would commit suicide, some would try bombing the "fake" ship, plus millions of freaks would travel to where the ship landed to try to get a piece of it, or to see it, or whatever.

Humans are freaks. Psychologically unbalanced. *sigh* Which is why I am a part of that race, I guess....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Darukin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 am

:lol:

Yeah, you said it aldan
Darukin
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby NeoScribe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:00 pm

While i can't speak for the aliens, I can say that the sharks on both sides are gonna size each other up and proceed with ripping of their own race and the other with fake tech and "real" alien goods. If some of the aliens dont look a thing like us yet still have dollar signs in their eyes, I wouldn't be suprised. Advanced civilazation my left foot!
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:31 pm

I would find it exciting.

However, I would be concerned about disease and intentions. In particular, I remember how disease harmed natives when explorers entered the picture. I have heard that diseases would not spread between species. But I wouldn't count on it.

I don't believe that other beings would come here to give us cures for diseases and advanced technology. Chances are they would come, as suggested by others already in the thread, to make money for themselves or their sponsors. Or to collect whatever resources they valued for themselves. It would surprise me if they treated humans with respect unless it was needed to advance their own ends.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:59 pm

I would hope they would pick me to gain super powers and be a warrior for each race. *sigh* Oh well now that the kid is away. I would be excited and would look at all of the people who doubted me and say I am finally going home.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby NeoScribe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Here's a concern. What if the aliens start a colony here and treat us like dirt. Later, when we get enough tech and number we fight them in a war? Like what happened in those African and Asian countries a while back and the Americas a long time ago. History tells us that those types of conflict often end up being very bloody and brutal.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Ariel » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Then we fight! What else could we do?
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby NeoScribe » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm

I'm talking about after the fighting. Will we as a nation be able to continye to exist? Or will the aliens leave us with our war-torn planet and anarchy across the country and the world?
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Next

Return to Speculation