speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Time Travel

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby MrB » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:12 am

I thought Scientists and all round clever people had proved that it was possible, in the theory that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down, consequently you are travelling in time with repsect to every one else, I think the idea being that every one else would travel a week into the future whereas you may only travel a few minutes, consequently you are travelling into everyone else past...

messes with your head a bit !
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.
MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:42 am

Chuffy wrote:Good point, but I still say it's not possible because they're not visiting.

Hah hah, that's perfectly alright. Stick to your guns, nothing wrong with that.

I've never seen the formation of a black hole, though according to scientistis this happens. I'm still left with no personal proof, so I make my own assumptions and decide what the physicists and astronomers tell me or form my own opinion.

Uh, I think a black hole is a doorway leading to a parallel mirror universe. :wink:
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ariel » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:50 am

With quantum physics, it could be possible.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby aldan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:12 pm

Even when things have been 'proven' either way, it's still not a guarantee. There have been situations where such 'guarantees' were disproven, generally because something wasn't taken into account by the scientists when they were testing it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dead_Technology » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:48 am

I have an idea. Perhpas, now this is just perhaps, time travel is possible, and we are recieving visitors. Why, then, don't we see them? Because time travel won't be discovered for so long that the only travelers visiting our time are long dead and have no physical pressence, only a soul, assuming there is such thing of course. I don't know, it's no S. Hawking or Einstein, but it's a thought.

EDIT: In retrospect, I think this sounds more like Remote Viewing into the past rather than actuall time travel.
Dead_Technology
New User
New User

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:31 am

Well, I'm sure it's common knowledge in the future that time travelers cannot interact with past events... or else they'll screw up their present.

So why don't we see them? Simple answer... cloaking devices. The past is one big tourist attraction and they stand around cloaked invisible and just witness events as they happen.

Must be a lucrative business.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:42 pm

If they were really traveling in time and meeting themselves then it was meant to happen or not either way time travel is like the stars. The only reason people argue about it is because they can not be proven wrong. If they met each other then they would have memories of it and find it is fine. Now the problem with my starting theory comes when you say what happens if they cause something to kill their past self.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Time Travel

Postby KarenW » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:53 am

In the book I am now writing with my co-author, time travel is possible for our antagonist, but it has consequences. It has been interesting for us to come up with consequences and loose rules for our time travel scenarios. Early on, we agreed that she could not prevent a death in the past, she could only change the way it happened. I have really enjoyed writing about time travel and hope readers will someday enjoy our book. It's sometimes hard to come up with all the potential questions a reader might ask, but we have tried to address most of them.
In reality, I don't know if time travel would ever be possible because I am trapped in linear thinking. I see a very solid line of chronology whereas the past has already happened and so can't be changed, the present is happening now but as soon as it happens it's past, and the future is the only thing we can change. But I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong because there is a lot of cleaning up I would like to do to my own past!
KarenW
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Golden Knight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:03 pm

I think your right, you can't change the past,

However some say you can't change the future either as it has already been written.
My Site: God's Golden Knight, Learn about God's Love

{Formerly "Dark Knight" at these forums}
Golden Knight
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ariel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 am

Sounds like a book I would like to read!! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)