speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Time Travel

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Time Travel

Postby gypsy_girl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:56 pm

I really didn't know exactly where to post this, so I decided to be safe and put it here. So, the question is, what is your take on time travel? In T.V. shows? Real life? Think it makes sense? Well? You know you want to post on this topic... So, post! :P

-Miles o' smiles
Me, gypsy
gypsy_girl
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby aldan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:53 am

My take on time travel? I have a variety of opinions on it.

First off, if it IS possible to travel through time, and there is only ONE existing universe, then it would be impossible to do anything when in the past to change it.

Second, if there are multiple universes out there, then a change would still have no effect on your own world but instead would create a new history in a new universe, created by the meddling.

Third, if I were ever given the opportunity to travel through time, I think I'd not take it. I would be too paranoid that something I'd do would make myself not exist, or someone close to me to not be.

Fourth, future travel, while it'd be interesting potentially, it would be too fraught with emotional danger for me, and again, I'd have to be extremely careful that I not share any of the stuff I saw with anyone else, for fear that if I did it might cause a change in the time stream for those future people.

Those are just some of the difficulties that I see...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:26 am

There are two main takes on what would happen if you knew that future. One is that you would have the opportunity to change your future, because you always have a choice. This is professed in The Minority Report.

The second take on this is that you couldn't change anything, that by seeing your future you've sealed it. The future is set in stone and any actions you take to prevent it from being so would actually cause it or have no affect on it. It's pretty much self-manifested destiny, as professed by Paycheck.

What's ironic is that both novellas were written by the same man, Philip K. Dick. There you go, two violently opposing views on the same issue from the mind of the same man.

Personally, if something like this ever happened, I would believe the second to be the more likely option of the two, that you can't change your fate as opposed to "There's no Fate but what we make.". Because, when you think of it, when you change the future how can you ever see the future that might have been if it never comes to pass? You wouldn't, and therefore wouldn't be able to change it and thus it would happen. It would arise to something of a time paradox. that is, unless you see multiple options of what the future may be, then I think you'd be able to get around the whole concept of the paradox.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby who me » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 am

butter fly effect, THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT!!!

this is my theroy, you can not change the past from your current presant because the past has aleady happend.
but if time travel is possible and we will asume that it is. im going to use a argument used by carl sagen ( he used the parodox to conclude that time travel is not possible)
lett us say you travel back in time befor you were born to kill your fater. if you then kill your father befor you are born you dont exsist so you could not travel back in time to kill your father so you are born and the parodox goes on and on.

this is not realy possible, so i thought if you did travel back in time to kill your fater, you would not do it for some reason you would change your mind fail at the attempt someting would prevent this because it has already happend.

a nather easer example is say i have a time machine and deside to go back in time to give my yunger self all sorts of advice,
then im my current memory would have memorys of meeting my older self. I have no recolection of ever meeting my older self , so i can only conclude that i never traveled back in time to give myself advice.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby LightBrigade » Sat May 21, 2005 3:50 pm

Gypsy girl, since you started the thread, I wonder what you would have to tell us about Time travel. Or ask, perhaps?

The arguments about the possibility of time travel discussed here so far are very interesting indeed!

Another point of view is the means. How can Time Travel be, by what means?

Is it by means of some sophisticated man-made apparatus? Is it by psychic power? Is there any other way?
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Sat May 21, 2005 4:02 pm

I heard a theory that time travel might be possible through black holes. I also heard that by entering a black hole it can take you through to another one, like a wormhole, either in time, space or reality.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby LightBrigade » Sat May 21, 2005 4:45 pm

If I am not mistaken, the same person who had suggested the idea, recently retracted the suggestion by disproving the idea himself. It is S.Hawking.
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Mon May 23, 2005 5:17 pm

Yes, I was watching Donnie Darko on the week end and heard that theory. I think it's all a bunch of hooblah

Teleportation, on the other hand, would be a wonderful invention
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby omnituton » Tue May 24, 2005 11:38 am

DOn't know the ins and outs of it..maybe its possible or not. Still when I think of time travel I'm always struck by that old question....Where are the time travellers?
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby Anthentar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:56 am

I ask that same question
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ranryu » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:16 pm

Wouldn't it be better if instead of a person traveling back in time that the future civilization would send maybe a flea sized, or a bug sized camera to record an event. Or some other way that if found out at the time it would be considered nothing more than a usual object that can be found at the time.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Time Travel

Postby LadyFlame » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:13 pm

I never understood it. It seems so weird that when a second passes away, that it could be brought back, or vice versa.
My first experience 'with' time travel was when we flew to Japan from Chicago. As we were flying to Japan, we were passing time zones-literally jumping INTO the future 12hrs. That was the first time I realized that perhaps time travel could actually happen.
I know that there are a lot of things to learn about it. Steven Hawking and many others have written things about it. I could only dream of having such a brain with that much capacity to obtain such intellect! Non the less, I will continue on with further study.
But silly as it sounds, I never believed time travel could be true until I traveled into the future myself! :D
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Next

Return to Speculation