speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Time Travel

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

    Bookmark and Share
 

Postby Ranryu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Don't forget the trip back is the exact opposite.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
User avatar
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe
 
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: I see Marines everywhere.
 

 

Postby Nomad » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:32 am

You did not actually jump ahead in time by 12 hours. It was still the same time, just a different time zone. LoL

However, they did experiment before byr having 2 plane fly around the world in opposite directions. They had chronometers that were in sync when they left , but were slightly different when they met again. When I say slight, It could have been in the millionths of a second, but still different.
___________________________________
"just what is 'Key of Light' Anyway?" -Nommy
User avatar
Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
 

 

Postby Nomad » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:34 am

Anthentaur, you spoke of teleportation. I posted about it some time back: here--> http://speculativevision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=566
___________________________________
"just what is 'Key of Light' Anyway?" -Nommy
User avatar
Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
 

 

Postby dustbow » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:19 am

I travel through time all the time every second im making a time travel....
♥†♥ OwNaGe ♥†♥
User avatar
dustbow
New User
New User
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 am
Location: BFE
 

 

Postby Chuffy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:22 pm

Let's face it, time travel is not possible. If it were we would have visitors from our future dropping in all the time, but we don't do we!
End of theory.
User avatar
Chuffy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Sydney Australia
 

 

Postby Dragonfleet » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 am

Unless of course those time travellers decide to keep it a secret. :P I'm kinda over time travelling stories tbo unless of course it has some function in a fantasy work.
User avatar
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
 

 

Postby Spiderkeg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:56 am

I think time travel is possible. If anything, at least time viewing. I have two theories on why time travelers aren't "discovered" in our time.

1. There are much better places to visit than boring ol' us.
2. The Earth as we know it ends because of our stupidity before we have a chance to develop time travel... or more importantly... the time travel vacation business.
User avatar
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 am
Location: Southern Maryland, United States
 

 

Postby Chuffy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:04 am

Chuffy wrote:Let's face it, time travel is not possible. If it were we would have visitors from our future dropping in all the time, but we don't do we!
End of theory.

You know I had this very discussion with a friend some time ago. He said time travel could be possible. I pointed out my theory about no visitors from our future and he said that's because there is no future, only present and past. He reckoned we are living life as it happens so if we could time travel we could only go back, not forward as it hasn't happened yet.
So I said to him, Ok, lets say in 50 years time we did develop time travel and you sent yourself back 50 years to this exact point in time. You would walk in this room just as the current you is saying,"There is no future, only present & past," and yet there's you from the future standing right there.
He didn't get it. He still couldn't see what a silly notion he had.
Then again, it's not possible anyway so it's a moot point.
User avatar
Chuffy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Sydney Australia
 

 

Postby Spiderkeg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Well, nobody really knows for sure (without a doubt) that time travel doesn't exist... or does exist. It's a fun topic to debate, but nobody can give you the correct answer. Stephen Hawking, who is by far smarter than you or me, has changed his mind on the time travel topic for decades.

Chuffy wrote:You know I had this very discussion with a friend some time ago. He said time travel could be possible. I pointed out my theory about no visitors from our future and he said that's because there is no future, only present and past. He reckoned we are living life as it happens so if we could time travel we could only go back, not forward as it hasn't happened yet.
So I said to him, Ok, lets say in 50 years time we did develop time travel and you sent yourself back 50 years to this exact point in time. You would walk in this room just as the current you is saying,"There is no future, only present & past," and yet there's you from the future standing right there.
He didn't get it. He still couldn't see what a silly notion he had.
Then again, it's not possible anyway so it's a moot point.


There is one flaw in this reasoning. Nothing states that in 50 years, or in your friend's life time, that time travel will yet be possible. The reason your friend did not show himself could be that he's already dead. You never know, he could have died at any point from now until 50 years from now.
User avatar
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 am
Location: Southern Maryland, United States
 

 

Postby Chuffy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Spiderkeg wrote:
There is one flaw in this reasoning. Nothing states that in 50 years, or in your friend's life time, that time travel will yet be possible. The reason your friend did not show himself could be that he's already dead. You never know, he could have died at any point from now until 50 years from now.


No you miss the point. I wasn't asking him to come back there and then. I was merely pointing out that he was so certain that time travel into the future wasn't possible where as past may be. If he had returned to himself from the future as he was making this point it would fill his entire theory with holes.
Read over my second post again. It's not an easy point to make but I think it's reasonable clear.
User avatar
Chuffy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Sydney Australia
 

 

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:25 am

No I got your initial point. I was merely speculating that one reason your friend didn't come back to his past self from a future that doesn't exist (according to him) might be because he's already dead in the future. This will both nullify his theory and yours, however the truth will never be known. Who is to say. To your point, how are you so sure that time travel isn't possible?

A bunch of scientists can claim time travel is impossible. This is all speculation still. None of them are God, and none of them know for sure. The whole debate on the theory is really an educated guess in the long run. Science has not advanced enough for anyone to know for sure.

I believe time travel is possible, because "not possible" removes all other options even conceivable by humans or non-humans. There is a huge galaxy outside the window, with a lot of options and possibilities. Claiming time travel isn't possible is like saying the Earth is the only M class planet in the entire universe possible of supporting life, and more importantly, sentient life.

Incidentally, there is no hostility in my posting.

Chuffy wrote:
Spiderkeg wrote:
There is one flaw in this reasoning. Nothing states that in 50 years, or in your friend's life time, that time travel will yet be possible. The reason your friend did not show himself could be that he's already dead. You never know, he could have died at any point from now until 50 years from now.


No you miss the point. I wasn't asking him to come back there and then. I was merely pointing out that he was so certain that time travel into the future wasn't possible where as past may be. If he had returned to himself from the future as he was making this point it would fill his entire theory with holes.
Read over my second post again. It's not an easy point to make but I think it's reasonable clear.
User avatar
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 am
Location: Southern Maryland, United States
 

 

Postby Chuffy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:40 am

Good point, but I still say it's not possible because they're not visiting.
User avatar
Chuffy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Sydney Australia
 

PreviousNext

Return to Speculation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron