speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Invasion

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby clknaps » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:18 am

I like it! Only thing I would have trouble on suspension of disbelief is the fact that modern weapons didn't hurt them. Are they ghosts? Or maybe they are somehow out of shift with this dimension...some kind of space time continuum thing...I dunno. It sounds great though, start writing!
:)
CLK
She sells seashells by the seashore.
Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
I shot the city sheriff.
clknaps
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:17 am

I agree about difficulty with the suspension of disbelief on this idea. It's a good idea, but will need quite a bit of help to be able to get over the trouble with modern weaponry not working on them, but their stuff working on modern humans and modern items/buildings.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm

I got an idea on how you could do this pretty easily. The reason they do not work is the fact that our guns were not around when they were so has no effect on them, what did not exist to them can not hurt them. I know a very faulty child or adult belief but could be effective. The reasons swords will work is the fact that hey they had swords and it would make the story even more fun to write.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 am

Talon Sinnah wrote:I got an idea on how you could do this pretty easily. The reason they do not work is the fact that our guns were not around when they were so has no effect on them, what did not exist to them can not hurt them. I know a very faulty child or adult belief but could be effective. The reasons swords will work is the fact that hey they had swords and it would make the story even more fun to write.

So, are you proposing that in order to harm something which is displaced from time is to use an object also from that time?

Interesting theory. Displace a samurai and in order to kill him find a sword which is available from that time or before.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Llew » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:29 am

So, are you proposing that in order to harm something which is displaced from time is to use an object also from that time?

Interesting theory. Displace a samurai and in order to kill him find a sword which is available from that time or before.

Pretty much, yes.
I got an idea on how you could do this pretty easily. The reason they do not work is the fact that our guns were not around when they were so has no effect on them, what did not exist to them can not hurt them. I know a very faulty child or adult belief but could be effective. The reasons swords will work is the fact that hey they had swords and it would make the story even more fun to write.

Precisely.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Yay Talon had a good idea. :lol:
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Llew » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:29 pm

It finally hit me while I was eating lunch: Guns just wouldn't shoot when directed at them. Bombs wouldn't go off. So your J-10 couldn't happily be going along dropping bombs, but they would just thud into the ground and not explode. Your guns would jam, or the ammunition just wouldn't fire.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby NeoScribe » Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Does this mean none of our modern tech will work? What about ourselves? We weren't around back then, so would that mean when we get in their land we die?

And if they get in our timezone does their stuff not work either. 'Cause that would be awsome and funny - seeing a viking trying to slash his way through some dude with nothing happening. :D
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Previous

Return to Speculation