speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Invasion

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Invasion

Postby Llew » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:58 am

It started when Vikings raided the coast of New England in 2009. There had been sightings first, but no one had believed them, and some said it was probably a reenactment group...until the raid.
The raid when Vikings thought to be dead a thousand years, raided the coast. Pillaging and plundering just as they did one thousand years ago...

Just an idea of mine for what could be a very interesting story.

First the Vikings start to raid, and after one or two attacks the army is called in to stop whatever it is thats going on. But, it just so happens that when you shoot at someone who lived a thousand years ago, with a modern gun, the bullets have no effect.
So the US military is powerless against them...until it is discovered that the only way to kill them is with their weapons, i.e, the sword and bow.
...You can see where that leads. All of a sudden there is a mass production of medieval weapons and people learning how to use them.

The premise is that we have to fight these medieval armys on their own ground, with their own weapons. And obviously, the modern world sucks at it.

In 2012 after three years of bloody battles with victorys and defeats on both sides, The US starts building castles along the coast as the only protection against the raids...but there are whispers of rumors that Crusader armys are again revenging the Holy Land. And that once again the Huns are advancing....
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Wow! Sounds like something I would really enjoy reading.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Llew » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:00 pm

You can tell what I day-dream about :lol:
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 am

Uh huh. Now put it on paper or your computer and write!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Llew » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Ouch! I...er...really should... :wink:
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 pm

:D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby NeoScribe » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:02 pm

So what happened to present day Europe and Asia? And where are the Americas from the past? This is sounding interesting.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Llew » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:07 pm

NeoScribe wrote:So what happened to present day Europe and Asia? And where are the Americas from the past? This is sounding interesting.

Oh, they are definitely there. New England is gonna be full of Indians (we have to fight them with muskets) and all those guys out west are going to have to dust off their old Winchesters to fight them.

Lets see...in south America you are going to have Aztecs stewing around, in Europe you are going to find a whole ton of them from two thousand years of history i.e. all the ones around King Arthur including the Romans, Pict, Celts, invading Anglo/saxons, raiding Vikings....Jeepers! those guys have some fighting to do! but fortunately for the world at large, everyone will fight everyone, not just their hereditary foes. All along the Mediterranean there is going to be massive overlays of all the people that have ever been there. I guess they wouldn't be limited to any time period...
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby orena » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:45 pm

The Aztecs are from Central America, South America would have the Incas.

Would America initially realize that these Vikings are from the past or would they blame the attacks on Norway or Denmark? If that was the case how would alliances and relationships between modern countries be effected when their ancestors start attacking?
orena
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Ariel » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Llew will be back soon to answer you. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Llew » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Ariel wrote:Llew will be back soon to answer you. :)

Right you are!

The Aztecs are from Central America, South America would have the Incas.

My bad :oops: I did know that...realy! :lol:

Would America initially realize that these Vikings are from the past or would they blame the attacks on Norway or Denmark? If that was the case how would alliances and relationships between modern countries be effected when their ancestors start attacking?

Good point...I think at very first they might think that, but before they have time to get all upset about it they will all be under attack from all of their ancestors.
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:42 pm

Shouldn't this be in a writing discussion?

Very good idea though.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Next

Return to Speculation