When races are no longer seperate

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

When races are no longer seperate

Post by berry »

I have noticed lately more and more mixed race children. I wondered how will our attitudes towards each other change when people of a single race are in the minority.
I know that most people are actually of mixed origin even though they may not know it. The English were actually wiped out and some countries are actually full of mixed race people like America and Australia but there are still some relatively unchanged races.
Will finally be able to move to a point where race is no longer an issue or will it become even more of an issue?
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I hate to say this, but I doubt it. What is likely to happen is that those who are NOT of mixed race will end up looking 'odd' to those who ARE of mixed race, and 'anyone who's different is a threat.' We creatures that term ourselves 'humans' are some of the least 'human' of all creatures, IMO.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

orena
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by orena »

People will probably continue to hate each other over equally foolish things such as religion, philosophy and nationality, even if we were all the same color.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

orena wrote:People will probably continue to hate each other over equally foolish things such as religion, philosophy and nationality, even if we were all the same color.

Star Trek TOS had something like this in the episode in which the people who were half black and half white were fighting those who were half white and half black.

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

Talk about confusing B.

I personally think that as long as humans will be around then race wars or confrontations will never die out. Because (as an example) to whites you are half black and to blacks y ou are half white. Sad but that is how each perceives(sp) the other.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

clknaps
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by clknaps »

Bmat wrote:Star Trek TOS had something like this in the episode in which the people who were half black and half white were fighting those who were half white and half black.

I was just thinking of that episode!

Personally I don't think we were ever really separate races to begin with. It's just a matter of melanin.

Peace,
CLK
She sells seashells by the seashore.
Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
I shot the city sheriff.

shadow
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by shadow »

Clknaps - you're right, you often find more genetic diversity between two members of a "race" than two of different "races."

Needless to say, race IS real because we make it so. I think multiracial children just add more complexity to the problem. A good current example is Barak Obama - who is fairly light skinned. He does not have the support of the so-called "black vote," but because he is not white, he loses support of some caucasians as well. (Obviously, skin is not the only reason for this, but it is certainly a factor) It's absolutely ridiculous, but I think society will just continue to make up new "rules" to judge these new nuances in race.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
-Thoreau

berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by berry »

I am of mixed race myself, a mix of two relatively small populations as well. I was born in a country completely separate from both of my parents. As an outsider no matter where I am I have always taken the stance that if I belong nowhere in particular then I can belong anywhere I choose.
But I do not define myself by those races or even the country I was born in and I do not seek out like races. (As a mix between sri lanka and Barbados I am unlikely to find many people just like me) So I always sought out like minded people. Those people did the same.
I suppose what I was really thinking is that races that do not mix will die out leaving only those who are mixed to continue the human race. How we will define ourselves after that. Micheal Marshall Smith has a nice idea in 'Only forward' where people have separated into neighborhoods of like minded people. There is a sound neighborhood, a colour neighborhood. Even one for those who just want to do business and generally get things done. There are more but I would hate to spoil the book for anyone intending to read it.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

churchill
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by churchill »

After 50 years of separation here in South Africa, what a relief it was in 1994 to emerge into the light of our new "Rainbow nation".

I know and feel your quandary, but fear that nature is constructed such that we will always retreat into like-minded groups and thus build up antagonisms.

It's just good to live in a place where you are always encouraged to guard against that tendency as much as you can.

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Race as a criterion, is one of many with mankind. As in this one, criteria often enter a discussion. Then, it is equally often that a spirit of separation appears. With mankind, I by nature as a human being employ the view of examination of

what binds us. Not mainly or only what separates us.

Some call the separating view an Illusion, a Temptation and a Slander.

As for the point of view of what binds us, I suspect they call it

agape.

- - -

Agape forgives, agape is patient, agape heals...

they say.