speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What if environmentalists are treated as terrorists?

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

What if environmentalists are treated as terrorists?

Postby Tales » Fri May 01, 2009 1:20 am

Hi I want to test a concept of a story.

Basically in my story, environmentalists are viewed like terrorists becos of a group of them doing something like 911 in the name of protecting the environment.

How plausible is this?
Tales
New User
New User

Re: What if environmentalists are treated as terrorists?

Postby Boikat » Sat May 02, 2009 9:28 am

I believe there is a group of environmental extreamists already. Though they haven't done anything of the scale of 911, they have done serious damage to property and construction sites in the North West, Washington state, I think. A few years ago, the burnt down either housing development, I believe.

But with any group of people with a cause, there's always the possibility of extreamist movements going overboard.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Yup. It's plausible.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tales » Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Ok then

Hey but lets discuss this further

Basically in my story, environmentalists and I meant organizations like WWF and even those that are safe are looked upon by people as "terrorists", that's the attitude.
But what incident would make normal people look at them like this?
Tales
New User
New User

Postby who me » Sun May 03, 2009 7:29 am

this is to easy, how about a world in witch the companys have a very strong influance on the goverment.
the primary intrest of the goverment the corporations and most of the peaple is easy low cost energy and any thing that diverges form that goal is considared criminal.

enviormentalists are terrorists because they undermine the production of goods and services. they feel that saving a tree or lake is more important than keeping the econmy running. IF we gave in to there ideas we whould make production unprofitable and the peaple who make a living by producing goods would lose there jobs.

theas enviormentalis also do not like that peaple have houses they would rather preserve nature than to build a place for a person to live.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Ariel » Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Good idea Pim!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Qray » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 am

Any further questions can be addressed to pim at her Unibomber-style shack near Walden's Pond. :thumright:

If you're looking for a singular event, it could be the assassination of a beloved World figure. Someone all people of the World respect. Such as a Mother Teresa or Princess Di, or the like. A eco-terrorist group wanted that person to speak out against something or other, or do something for them and they refused, so they whacked 'em.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby who me » Tue May 05, 2009 1:20 pm

why not have the eco terrorists just kill a ceo or two and or blow up a refinery they would be terrorists by the 5:00 news.
then a few anti-eco terror law's.
and the fithy hippys are due for a state sponsred hair cut and shower.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Qray » Tue May 05, 2009 4:03 pm

But would the eco-terrorists whacking a couple CEO's turn the entire World against them? They're not the most endearing people.

who me wrote:and the fithy hippys are due for a state sponsred hair cut and shower.

Don't forget to delouse them. :thumright:
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Tales » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 am

The eco-nuts must have done something that killed a lot of people but saved the environment in a way. I was thinking that someone said something in the Planet Earth Documentary that could really make some nut kill others if you look at it negatively. [Pls do not take this seriously, but there are some crazy nutcases that really do think in that way]

When one tries to get at a number, my guess somewhere between 500 million people and one billion, no more than that.
James Lovelock

I think the Earth can safely support in a sustainable way and at a reasonable standard of living, about half of what it has today. And I think that would make the people happier and it would certainly make the planet happier. We'd have more diversity, productivity and the world would be a more sustainable place.
Jeffrey A. McNeely

[url="http://www.betterhumans.com/blogs/videos/archive/2007/09/10/BBC-Planet-Earth_3A00_-Into-the-Wilderness.aspx"]http://www.betterhumans.com/blogs/videos/archive/2007/09/10/BBC-Planet-Earth_3A00_-Into-the-Wilderness.aspx[/url]
Tales
New User
New User

Postby who me » Mon May 11, 2009 6:42 am

the only way to kill that many peaple is with a desease.
but they don't need to kill any one to be rounded up.
they just need to brake the law ( and the goverment makes thouse up) and be really unpopular.
a sertan latant resentmant that gets stured up by the media.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Tales » Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 am

either way, I am starting to get how ecoterrorists probably operate. They value the life of Mother Nature more than humans. So I think killing humans to them is beneficial to the environment.

I am thinking they might target the farming industry as agriculture had one of the biggest impacts on the natural world.

But what terror attack can farmers abandon their land but leave the natural parts unharmed.
Tales
New User
New User

Return to Speculation