speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Paranormal

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Yeah, seeya later. :salut:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:57 pm

G'night!
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ciuma-din-iad » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:29 am

Ariel wrote:Aldan,Are you ALWAYS a pain in the... :) You might discourage
someone from posting here.Yes we know about the common sense
creaks and what-not,and yes,obviously some people have overactive imaginations,but not everything can be rationalized.

That's true. Not everything is rational. But where's the sense in believing in things that don't make sense? Do you trust senselessness? :P You know, at least the notion of infinity makes perfect sense (based on what we do know) and has no alternative, though it may be irrational.

Ariel wrote:Neuro,where are you when I need you????I need some back-up,Aldens here!! :wink:

Can't handle the truth? :wink:

I believe that there's nothing wrong with speculating about alternate possibilities in the universe. However, it's a lack of wisdom when people sit there and say: "I saw something, and it's without a doubt real, even though it looked unreal enough to be called a ghost." Or whatever... It's possible that this entire life is a dream in the literal sense, but it's not practical to just assume that it's a dream, unless you think you can get out. I dunno... I guess you can't argue with a person who doesn't believe in the scientific method - so to speak. My mom thinks everyone's a spy and out to get her, and there's no arguing with her.

Paranoid - paranormal
Connection?
Ciuma-din-iad
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:06 pm

Yes, but I believe in trusting in your instincts. There's insight in your heart that is far beyond what the brain could understand. You never really know anything for sure; you just choose to believe in things that make sense. But you can feel the life all around you, in the people around you. Not in big dull buildings or a mathematical equation. If you see something abstract, and you feel the life of it -- energy -- then you know it's real. What exactly does "real" mean? Some things could be labeled "unconscious" for example, but then some people believe the Unconscious World is just as real as the conscious one. I mean, you think you know what's reality until you stand on your head and look at the world upside-down! :D Then, you see a whole new view on reality.

Basically, you can trust your heart to know when something is real. How exactly it is real (a shadow from the unconsciousness, a ghost, a creature from another dimension) is what we don't know. The mystery pushes us to investigate, and accept a whole new perspective -- or two, or three -- on our so-called reality. 8)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Ciuma-din-iad.I'm not sure how to respond in a way that would be to your satisfaction.I can assure you,I'm not a lunatic.You're making assumptions that people just believe in things without any serious study or consideration.Most important is for you to realize that most people who believe in the paranormal have had personal experiences that left them open-minded.

I've mostly had experiences with precognative dreams,and some psychic experiences.I can understand if someone might find that
rather strange or doesn't believe it exists having never experienced it themselves,but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt
that it does.

I've known people who have had unusual experiences that can't be
explained.I don't believe everything I read or hear about,but I remain open-minded.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:05 pm

See, the title I had was "Our Paranormal Experiences." With the title "Paranormal" it invites all sorts of comments on the issue. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's nice to have a forum for just posting our experiences. :bounce:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Utora » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:13 pm

Last March I dreamed of a little boy. He told me that his mother was in trouble, that she needed my help. Problem was, I had no idea who he was talking about. Three more times he came to me and it wasn't until the third time that I realized this boy had my eyes. The next morning I called my sister and asked her if she was pregnant. She was, and the day she found out, her boyfriend left her. She now has a beautiful son, and he has my eyes.
Utora
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Wow, Utora! That's quite a stroy!

I love that dream stuff. I know I've had verious psychic dreams but I never really remember them. When I have deja vu experiences I can remember briefly when I was in a dream state and foresaw that event. Of course, this is very vague. And these "events" are rather uninteresting. Yet, these deja vu/dream memory experiences always happen shortly after I've turned a new page in my life. I find that strange.

You know, I wonder if this stuff is genetic? There is a lot of this stuff in my family background. Witchcraft, psychic experiences, and faery stuff. I have "the eye" you might say. But I have witnessed poaranormal experiences with other people. Both my sister and I had seen wierd flickering lights at night that would disapear whenever one of us looked directly at them. Strange, but true. I've seen lots of strange lights, floating mid-air and stuff. I have no idea why, but I know it's not in my head. For one thing, they can get so bright that they create that "color cloud" in my eyes (because they've adjusted to the dark, you see.)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Utora » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:50 pm

I think it is genetic. Almost my entire family has some form of the gift, though most of us choose to ignore it.
Very rarely do I dream that clearly, in fact, I'm pretty sure that was the first precognitive dream I have had.
Utora
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:07 pm

When I experience things like that it's usually when my mind is empty and I'm emotionally open. I think sensititvity is how we percieve paranormal things. In a dream state even. You have to be open to it, either by intention or not. These experiences can be scary and can make you question a lot of things, but I think these experience can be quite beautiful. Like yours. The baby did find its mother.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ciuma-din-iad » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:29 am

Yes, it's genetic. You are just special. Grey matter is genetic, too. One time some people were saying that the ability to write is genetic. Hmmmmmmmm...

The mystery pushes us to investigate, and accept a whole new perspective

I don't see where the accepting part comes in. And I certainly don't see much investigation going on here. Except inside people's heads.

Yeah, we can feel things. We can feel a math problem when we work it out and find that we got it right. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just work it out and not worry about whether we got it right - just feel satisfied that we finished it? You know, that's how I feel when I take math tests...

I don't know that I feel the "life" of something abstract. If I do, it's my own. It was a pretty amazing feeling the first time I really meditated, imagining myself as the center of a living universe. But I don't feel that anymore because it came from a place within me that is dead right now. That doesn't make is real or unreal. It makes it what I felt.

My dad told me that one time he had a dream of a blue house. The next day, he was amazed to find that very house sitting there beside the street he passed. Fortunately, he was intelligent enough to realize that he'd seen the house before but only subconsciously remembered it. My mom, on the other hand, would've been like: "Wow! God put this house here! I swear it was never there before!"

I guess most of us are open-minded, but there are things we are "pretty sure" about. Whatever people want to believe... It's easier for me not to believe than to believe... I think people believe in ghosts "suddenly when they have this experience" because they have a predisposition to believe that there's some meaning beyond "explanation." Although I keep my mind very open to that, I don't think such complicated things as ghosts can be so simplified into "inexplicable." Things that I consider possibly inexplicable include the origin of the universe and the existence of an omnipresence... not little things that imply that everything is inexplicable and insult the science that has brought us so far. I don't believe in "it can't be explained because it doesn't feel like being explained."
Ciuma-din-iad
Just Registered
Just Registered

Yeah, but ...

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:04 pm

What IS getting a math problem correct? They say 1+1=2. Really? If I put two balls of clay together I get a bigger ball. So it cab be: 1+1=1. Some mathematicians have claimed that they have proven that 1+1=3. So I hear. It's really just a matter of perspective.

We tend to believe in the reality as it is presented to us. Like in the Truman Show, all your life could be staged somehow and you might not even know it. You choose to believe, for a sense of emotional security. I have had experiences all my life where I have experienced life beyond the confines of "reality." Otherwise, I'd probably be logical like you. Having seen and experienced what I have, I know better. That might sound rude, or even arrogant to you, but so can your arguments seem to people like me. We are two human beings standing on opposite sides of the spectrum, one arguing what he says and the other what he doesn't see. Your side is easier to win in an intellectual sense, no doubt about it. For, it's far easier to disprove than to prove (referring to evidence more than "proof" here, as "proof" is subjective -- it's actually just strong evidence.)

If a cat could speak it would likely argue against humor. An artic sea otter might argue against the existence of sand. But when you see or experience it yourself, it's different. Of course I am a believer, for I have experienced many things that aren't supposed to be. You haven't, so you're against it (or are at least somewhat against it.) I'll continue to argue my side because I believe in it, as you will yours. The difference is I know there is more to life than there appears, that ghosts and UFOs truly exist. We can argue, and I may be forced to give in or agree to disagree, but in the end I know.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, as I know that if I hadn't experienced what I have I likely would be on your side of this! :compress:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Speculation