Claytronics

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderator: Bmat

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Claytronics

Post by Boikat »

Claytronics is an emerging nano-technology that seems, if perfected, to open up a whole lot of interesting possibilities.

The basic idea has been around in one form, known as the "grey goo" analogy, in which the "goo" is composed of nano-bots that align themselves to "construct" whatever given shape is desired, from a dinner plate to a combination lobster-hammer/cockroach cracker. :)

Taking that a step further, the idea behind claytronics would go so far as creating 3-d replicas of anything, including people for such things as teleconferencing.

Taking *that* even further, why not use claytronics for artificial 'companions'? Want to trip the light fantastic with a super model/actor/actress? Feed a couple of pics into the ol' computer, and "Poof", the current super-model/actress/actor is in your living room!

That to me, though it sounds good (I'm a guy, what can I say? :oops: ) could open a can of worms as far as the social scene goes. For instance, what if you go to some posh resort with your "top model du jour" (Or actor/actress), and the real person is there? Or almost as bad, everyone there with the same "model"? Hmmmm... Interesting... Think of the law suits! Rights to privacy, and so on.

Here's a link to a news story, and if it expires, just "Google" "Claytronics"..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05136/505033.stm

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Super Tools! If your finnished shape was strong and durrable (which it would have to be to widthstand the tests I'm sure you would run the supper model through) ... where was I... Oh yeah Super Tools. I'm terribel with tools always using a flat head when I really need a phillips head or a butter knive when I need a flat head screw driver. But with my Claytronic Super Tool (tm) the head would change to fit the need. yeah. Or how about that allen wrench the comes with the desk and 5 years later ya gotta move and take the desk apart but you can never find it. Oh maybe my super tool would have like a camera or lazer thingy to see where it's going and change shape to fit. But THEN the hardware store lobby might try to block it from sale and if they couldn't have there way they could get smart claytronic screws that can see a super tool comming and change shape constanlty so the super tool will never fit. I don't guess too many people would buy those screws. Then again if you have enough goo then you won't need any screws or tools at all you could have a Shifty House (tm) that would shift to fit you needs. You just say "house, gimee desk 7b and you have a small writing table that will go away when you are done. Would this goo be smart enough to make working appliances? cause then! oh man then! all you need is goo! and food. Just cash a portion of your paycheck to get more goo. Your Goomobile (tm) can be a one person car or a big transport van for your Church of John Coltrane field trips and don't worry about parking cause it will just change shape to like a, I dunno, a flag pole! yes with your on family crest flag so you know where to find your Goomobile. That's all I got so far.