speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Hidden Lands

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Hidden Lands

Postby Floridian Dream » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:26 pm

I have a concept for my stories that perhaps advanced civilizations exist on the surface of our planet, confined to landmasses that have been kept hidden from the human eye and eye of satellite through advanced cloaking technology that shrouds their land in fields of energy that not only reflect waves of light invisible to the human eye but also deflect satellite waves. I imagine such a technology would come from a civilization that happens to be thousands of years ahead of our own, yet the question beggars; if there are such civilizations out there, why are they hiding from us?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: Hidden Lands

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Is this a story idea or actually a what if scenario

Welcome to SV
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Floridian Dream » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:Is this a story idea or actually a what if scenario

It's sort of in between. The concept is primarily a story idea, but I'm trying to get some ideas as to why civilizations like the ones I'm describing here would be intentionally hiding from us. I apologize if this post is not in the appropriate forum.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:05 am

I personally would put it under the advice section in writing discussion.

With your problem I say they went into hiding when the human race was nomadic and war like. Possibly when we were still young or even when we just learned of fire. The idea will only work if the people are peaceful or even extreme pacifist. I would maybe do it like they are the Mayans, Incans, or Aztecs and were not happy with the way the world was going and washed their hands of it. The 'Aztec' idea gives you a base to work with but may leave less room for creativity.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Floridian Dream » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:56 am

Talon Sinnah wrote:I personally would put it under the advice section in writing discussion.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Talon Sinnah wrote:With your problem I say they went into hiding when the human race was nomadic and war like. Possibly when we were still young or even when we just learned of fire. The idea will only work if the people are peaceful or even extreme pacifist.

Well, I do imagine them as pacifistic I suppose. I do like your idea there.
I had initially pictured these advanced beings as being endemic to a certain land to begin with. They weren't big on migrating, but that never stopped them from exploring the planet. In doing so, they found to their horror that humans had colonies all over the place; this was alarming to the advanced beings because they saw us humans with our great numbers as a potential threat to their existence, what with their relatively small population. That may have been what sent them into hiding.
Or perhaps they were here long before we showed up, and when we did, we became like pests to them, very dangerous pests, pests that pillaged their cities for food and water and slaughtered innocent civilians just because they looked different from us. Despite their advanced technology, the advanced beings struggled to keep the human threat at bay and were thus forced to relocate.

I don't know. What do you think of these ideas?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:55 pm

All good. I like the being from one land idea. This would give you some stability to write with and give you guidance as well. You don't want to make there tech to superior than the readers will be confused why the race didn't use it to either destroy us or at least wrangle us in. Even in high numbers a army can be wiped out. The killing other races because they were different would definitely play to the human race, we are not known in the past to accept differences to well.

The only excuse I could think of with the tech is that the race was afraid of wiping themselves out in the process.

How close to the races tech are the humans going to be?

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Floridian Dream » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:40 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:The only excuse I could think of with the tech is that the race was afraid of wiping themselves out in the process.

I hope it's a good enough excuse.

Talon Sinnah wrote:How close to the races tech are the humans going to be?

Well, I guessing that the other races is ahead of us by at least one thousand years, give or take a few centuries. I don't know, but I imagine they just began working on cloaking technology when humans invented air vehicles, unless you've got any suggestions.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 pm

I would recommend dialing the time back a few hundred years for the reason if they are that far ahead they could just wipe us out no problem or make their developments in another field of science other than weapons and the like

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Floridian Dream » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:I would recommend dialing the time back a few hundred years for the reason if they are that far ahead they could just wipe us out no problem or make their developments in another field of science other than weapons and the like

Perhaps they could be as advanced as, say, the Egyptians, more or less?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 am

Any progress Floridian

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Floridian Dream » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Well, I was thinking this para-human civilization was technologically in league with us of the 21st century (more or less) when the first humans/human-like creatures evolved. But then again, even if they somehow had the technological means of killing us off without any consequences, I think one thing that could hold them back is their sense in ethics. Just think; why is it a serious issue when people kill dolphins, or great apes, or elephants? Because they're intelligent creatures.

Perhaps these para-humans find it unethical to kill intelligent life forms, for that would be considered murder. I really don't know. You have any suggestions as to what could've held them back from killing us?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 am

I like the ethics idea. It adds all new depth to your race and will allow the reader to relate to them. I would add in that they held great sympathy for the human race for being so young and a blank slate as far as intelligence and tech goes. This would give them reason to help us in our early years if you want to go that route

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Return to Speculation