speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Planet of the Giant Germs

"What would happen if...?" has always been a staple of Science Fiction. What do you wonder about?

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Planet of the Giant Germs

Postby Floridian Dream » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:39 pm

If you know anything about xenophyophores, you likely know that single-celled doesn't necessarily mean microscopic. Very large unicellular organisms are definitely possible and a reality.

Imagine a planet in which multicellular life never evolved, but the closest thing to such are macroscopic single-celled organisms. Considering cells are all composed of organelles, perhaps a macroscopic unicellular organism could function just as a multicellular life form could and have its own equivalent to bodily systems (e.g. circulatory, skeletal, nervous), or maybe such life could form a modular colony much like siphonophores.

Who knows?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: Planet of the Giant Germs

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:59 pm

I have a hard enough time with our planet of small germs giant ones scare me lol
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Speculation