speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

WHAT IS THE D&D GAME???!?!?!?

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

WHAT IS THE D&D GAME???!?!?!?

Postby FantasyMan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:22 am

simple question WHAT IS THE D&D GAME?
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby aldan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:50 am

The Dungeons and Dragons Role Playing Game (D&D RPG) is a Fantasy-based RPG. What is an RPG? It's basically a game type in which you create a character who is as complete as you can make him/her and then you play that character's (basically) entire life, or usually the years that cover the character's "maturity" which in today's human terms would be from, say, 16 to 40? It's not like a shooter where the only thing the guy carrying the gun is for is pulling the trigger. It's not like an older-style arcade game in which you're just shooting and running and jumping and (maybe) pushing a button here or there. Instead, you play (usually) with other players who are running their own characters with their own races, cultures, sexes and backgrounds. You are also interacting with Non-Player Characters (NPCs) that the Dungeon Master (DM), aka the Game Master, controls.

What's the purpose? Well, the idea behind it is to have FUN. How do YOU have fun? Some people enjoy being someone who's totally different from themselves, as a way to try to get away from their normal humdrum life. Others like to try to get rich, to beat the biggest baddest monsters on the block, or to try to become so powerful they're like a demi-god. Exploration and discovery are one of the best (IMO) and most rewarding (to me) parts of the game, since things in a Fantasy RPG can be so very different from RL that it can make each gaming experience with the same character a whole new thing.

One of the MOST important things to do as a player is to IMMERSE yourself INTO the player WHILE you're playing (what's called role-playing) so that you can get the most out of the game and really FEEL the game. The most important thing to have to make a great game, though, is VERY GOOD DUNGEON MASTER, since that person is supposed to bring the world to life around your character(s) and also needs to be ready to adjust things on the fly if the characters do something unexpected (like killing off an important NPC, for example). I'm hoping that this is giving you a feel for what an RPG IS, but the best way to find out is to get INVOLVED in one.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Havoc » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:28 am

Snatched from my weblogs:
-------------------------------
One of my hobbies is a game called Dungeons and Dragons. For those nerds who want to know about the minimal system requirements (and whether there are Internet capabilities) this game has, I'll start with the basics. Geek's should know this by now, but Nerd might be left out on this fact of life.

Dungeons and Dragons does not require a computer to play!
SHOCK!!!!
OUTRAGE!!!!

It's true. Do you remember that stuff books were made of before you could download them? Yes, that's right, it was called paper. And do you also remember that item people used to create markings on paper? Yes, Pencils, very good! Those actually still exist.
SHOCK!!!!
OUTRAGE!!!!

It's true. And that's what you'll need to play this game, pencil and paper. And some friends (which is the Geek's biggest problem to overcome) and about 30 Euros to buy the Book. A book, yes...... oh dear, this is going to be more basic then I thought.

You remember outside? No? The Real World? No, not the TV-show, the thing that's on the other side of your door. No, further down the hallway. Let's use a different approach.

You know online shops where you can order stuff and it then magically appears on the doormat right? Good! Well, believe it or not, there's a non-online variant on those. Yes, it's called a mall. This is where normal people buy their stuff. Right, just ask your mom if she'll drop down the comic-book shop and buy the Player's Handbook for you. See, that wasn't that hard!

Hurray for you!

So... what was I talking about again? Oh yes, Dungeons and Dragons.

Here's what you need:
Veteran Geeks
Pen
Paper
Imagination

Oh dear, here we go again. Imagination is something lost to this generation of Gamers. Every game they play is rendered to perfection. Imagination is seeing things that aren't really there, which you know aren't really there, but you'll interact with anyway because it's fun. You do it on purpose so there's no need for a trip to the psychiatrickerist.

You need the Veteran Geeks to explain everything with you, to supply all the rule-books and knowledge about the monsters. Then you have them make you a character and basically they'll show you what to do every step of the way. Then slowly, but surely, you'll get sucked in until you know the rules too and are dubbed a Geek as well. Then you buy all RuleBooks, read every one of them back to back and you'll be promoted to Veteran Geek too.

And as Veteran Geek you get this nifty new ability, which allows you to recruit prospective Geeks into your Geek Army of Doom.
-------------------
So, more about Dungeons and Dragons. The other Blog was, crap. You told us nothing!
This is true. But you're reading this, which means you've taken the first step into become a soldier in my Geek Army of DOOM!!!!

As the name of the game suggests Dungeons and Dragons isn't about Hamburgers at all. It's not that much about Dragons either... or Dungeons for that matter. It's a fantasy game and it's about having fun with some friends, if you have them. If not, go find some, I hear the Internet is filled with them so you're already at the right place.
So you and your friends will fill the following positions in the game, it's not absolutely necessary to have every position but these are the most common:

DM - He's the one who's making it all up as he goes along. He'll decide what happens next, usually this is the most experienced Veteran Geek in the squad.

Powergamer - He's the one obsessed with fighting and dealing damage, he's useless through-out the game but you'll be thanking him every time he saves your ass.

Roleplayer - He's the one who's constantly keeping up the game because he wants to tell exactly how he eats his plate of porridge.

Kapitalist - Easy to spot, he's the one who saves your corpse from all your expensive equipment and makes sure everyone sees you've died by not burying you.

Loudmouth - If you've noticed you're getting a little more deaf in one ear then he's sitting right next to you.

Cynical Jerk - He's the one sitting like a couchpotato who's on a silent strike because the couchpotato factory isn't paying enough. He'll also saber you down every time you try to open your mouth.

Pizzadelivery guy - He's the only that comes to a session that you'll be glad to see. You know him by first name and, most likely, you are very well acquainted with his girlfriend as well. You'll be invited to his wedding someday, possibly as best man.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:58 am

*chuckles* Nicely done! You may wish to add a few things to your list, however. One is Dice. What? No Dice? Then Die! Dice are those funny looking plastic shapes that you used when you were a wee little tyke playing with your older siblings' games like Yahtzee or Monopoly. Right. Those plastic cube things with the black spots on them. Guess what? The spots on the cubes represent NUMBERS! On one side of the cube there is one dot, and on the opposite side there are six dots. Go to another side and you shall see two dots, and on the opposite side of that one you shall see five dots. There are two more sides, one having three dots and the other four dots. Using these Dice things (if you only have one, it's called a Die), you pick up four of them in your hand and then, holding them loosely in your cupped palm, you turn your palm over, spilling those cube things out onto a table, which is like a computer desk, but larger. Then you will look at the Dice to see which dots face upward. When you see that, you then add up the dots on the three Dice that are showing the largest number of dots and total them. You then use that pencil thing to write down the number on the paper thing. There! You're well on your way now! Do that five more times and you will have almost completed creating a character! Amazing!

Oh, another person that you will most likely be playing with is the Rules Nazi. He is one that knows every rule and every way to both bend the rules and still be able to say that he is playing by the rules of the game. He can also, if he is accused of cheating, prove that the person who is accusing him is the one that is cheating, by showing which rules he is not following.
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby FantasyMan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:30 am

i know what an rpg is.... :roll: is it pay 2 play?

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Havoc » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:39 am

Yes it is. But it is usually disguised as a think called 'food-money' despite the fact that anything you put in your mouth during a session has no resemblance to any kind of food known to man. You might as well eat cardboard, hey it's fun!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Alaskamatt17 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:05 pm

If you want a more visual, Info Age presentation, go here. You will need the flash plugin.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein
Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby FantasyMan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:33 pm

hmmm can you get me any screen shots?

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Havoc » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:21 am

You don't want to see any screenshots

*makes Jedi-hand movement*
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dr_Love » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Screeshots can be so fake, and tell a complete and udder lie.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby aldan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 pm

Yes, but the udder lies can be so mooving...

Btw, if you want a quick movie of some gamers running an RPG like D&D, go to this link...

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/220487
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dr_Love » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:16 pm

D-n-D hasn't been about for over 20 years....nah it's not hard to miss at all. LOL.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Next

Return to Games